Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |

Now the fun part! Crown molding on cabinets round II

Thanks to all here I have gotten good enuf to do do this one run (I posted it again I'm pretty happy with it)

NOW I have the hard part. I've got the 25.5 degree inside angles on the corner cab

I figure for sure cut the center piece of molding and then I am not certain how best to go from there.

I can just take a piece of stock that is longer than let's say the left hand run that goes toward the L outside corner and cut the inside corner onto that piece
then make a cut mark for where the L outside corner needs to be at the end of the run and then do the correct cut for that corner and then I and cut the back piece for the L out side corner and then attach all that and then work on the R side of the run.

I am putting into a notebook all the proper ways to mark and cut each type of corner outside L/R inside L/R and then make sure I do the correct cuts because on the L and R long runs I'll have both an inside and an outside type cut to make and I am sure that can get mixed up if you're not careful.

I may try this tonight if I get a few replies to verify some of this.

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Now the fun part! Crown molding on cabinets round II-anglerun112.jpg   Now the fun part! Crown molding on cabinets round II-anglerun111.jpg  
Attached Images

petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
STAFF

Cut and install center/angle cabinet, then either left or right, then the other long piece the the two short end pieces.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Whatever works for you.
I always cut the longest pieces first in case you botch it you may still have another long piece to try it again since you didn't cut the little pieces out of your other long piece first.

Last edited by titanoman; 01-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

For the same reason as Titan, I always do all my longer pieces of any trim first.

How is it that you have 25.5 degrees? It should be 22.5.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-18-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
For the same reason as Titan, I always do all my longer pieces of any trim first.

How is it that you have 25.5 degrees? It should be 22.5.
ok thanks good advice.... TYPO should be 22.5 !
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
STAFF

The reason I start with my angle piece first is I cut it on a backward angle to lay against the two long cabinets, I then cut the two long pieces on a 22 1/2° then back cope waaaaay back under, not just way back as coping a regular cope but cut waaaay under, the long pieces of crown will lay over the short angle right in place pretty as you please. You won't have to make two 22 1/2° butt cuts to fit with maybe a gap.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 01-18-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943
The reason I start with my angle piece first is I cut it on a backward angle to lay against the two long cabinets, I then cut the two long pieces on a 22 1/2° then back cope waaaaay back under, not just way back as coping a regular cope but cut waaaay under, the long pieces of crown will lay over the short angle right in place pretty as you please. You won't have to make two 22 1/2° butt cuts to fit with maybe a gap.
You can do the same thing (butting one piece into another) doing the long runs first.
(all the cuts are on a 45, not 22-1/2 as you stated).

Last edited by titanoman; 01-18-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
You can do the same thing (butting one piece into another) doing the long runs first.
(all the cuts are on a 45, not 22-1/2 as you stated).
You are right they are on a 45°.(it has been right at 20 years since I last installed like that) But if you do the long piece first you will be able to see the joint easier if you over lap with the short. Also if you are butting the trim instead of coping on those cabinets the cuts will be 22 1/2° at the angle cabinet and 45° at the ends.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 01-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

I almost always cope baseboards and crown moulding, but on a cabinet I cut the 45 or 22.5 and butt them. Not sure why just the way I was trained.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943

You are right they are on a 45°.(it has been right at 20 years since I last installed like that) But if you do the long piece first you will be able to see the joint easier if you over lap with the short. Also if you are butting the trim instead of coping on those cabinets the cuts will be 22 1/2° at the angle cabinet and 45° at the ends.
That's the only advantage to the short piece going up first is like you said is the higher visibility.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
That's the only advantage to the short piece going up first is like you said is the higher visibility.
ok here's the latest. I clearly had alot of beginners luck because my first few cuts were nearly perfect. You can see the run I did last night with the inside corners, I did not cope because I had no saw but I bought one although
I am not totally clear yet how to cope saw I"ll try it on this last run

On this cab run (see pic) where there is inside and outside corner that's where my luck ran out. I chopped into about $70 worth of molding and am lucky I have pieces left that I can still use. I put up 3 pieces and then tore it out and I need some help on this one.

Here is what problems I ran into

#1 I was cutting without a jog to hold the molding at spring angle and I now have made a little jig and I assume that will help alot.

#2 I am unclear still exactly how an outside or inside corner measurement is made. For an outside corner I thought you mark the bottom of the molding where the cab ends and then when you turn it
upside down you cut so the saw goes right up to that mark but it is not so easy! sometimes I put the piece up and I'm 1/16" too short or long which causes a gap.

#3 when a piece has an outside AND and inside corner cut I kept getting gaps on the other ends when I cut to make the corners.

(see a pic diagram of the cab run I am on now)

any help really appreciated!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

What am I missing????? I know, a lot!!

But how do u know it's a 45 degree angle, and even if u do, I am missing why/where u are seeing the 22.5 degree.

Can someobody explain or send me a video?

Thanks
mb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb88

But how do u know it's a 45 degree angle, and even if u do, I am missing why/where u are seeing the 22.5 degree.

Thanks
It's obvious just by looking at the cabinets what the angles are.
Pretty standard stuff.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #14

No, it's not to me....and don't want to say it, but a math major here

I see a 90 degree and maybe 45, but 22.5??? dont' see it....maybe I am looking up the wrong avenue.
mb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb88 View Post

Thanks
don;t quote me because I am new BUT if you look at the pic with the cabs already crowned there is a center cab and those angles on the inside corners are 45 so I cut my inside pieces at 22.5 and it fit like a glove. I am not sure why some people said ALL cuts are 45 I do not get that.

If yu look at the NEW set of cabs without crown that I am working on now those are all 90 degree inside and outside corners so each piece I cut at 45