Novice Needs Carpentry Work-around For Art Project. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Novice needs carpentry work-around for art project.

I'm nearly a novice when it comes to carpentry so I've got no clue about what is the right and wrong way to do things.

I'm working on an large, mixed media sculpture that involves a 4x2 light fixture, mounted sideways, on a Lazy-Suzan. There is a rotating mobile in front of it, and in front of that is a picture frame. The viewer is meant to only be able to see the mobile and through this picture frame, so I need to mount it about 4 feet in front of the light so that there is room for the mobile in between. I've created a rough diagram here.

Just imagine the green pieces are 2"x2"s about 4 feet long. There is a long screw going through the back of the board into the length of the 2"x2". The problem I'm having is that the picture frame is a little bit heavy for the 2"x2"s. I could attach a wire or chain to the top of it and hook that to the arm the mobile is on but it has to be able to turn sideways when it is being transported (the Lazy-Suzan is so it can fit through doorways) and will even need to lay on it's back when it is in transport.

I'm planning to swap those 2"x2"s for something wider, but I'm still unsure about how to attach them in a way that will be strong enough.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

jackvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I am not sure that I can envision the entire project, but it sounds as if your problem is, simply, that you need the 2x2 boards attached more securely to the flat board. Correct?

In addition to screws, have you tried glue? If you were to add a triangular wood "gusset" betweem the sheet board and 2x2, would this be detrimental to the aesthetics of your project?

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Will there be sides on this? Perhaps a hinged box could be made---so it can be folded up for transporting---light hung from the back,picture frame on the front---Just a thought. Do you have a friend with a wood shop?

Many towns have a woodworking club----the one in my area is friendly and welcomes unusual visitors with an unusual problem----Might be a way to make some new friends and get your display box built.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 786

Run the 2X2 through a notch in the board and continue out the back about 4 to 6" so the board can't fall backwards in the event of a fast approach by a fat person. You can fashion a triangular vertical support back there out of sight.