Noob In This - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

noob in this

Hello. I am currently in the process of renovating my studio, and I came to the understanding that there were several parts of my project that I could just build myself (if I knew what to do). The first project I'm trying to do is to build a literatue/magazine display rack. The thing about this design is the fact that I believe that I can not only duplicate this design, but I feel that I can expand on it, considering that while the featured design is 49in in height, I want to make it 70in in height. My biggest problem is the fact that I don't know where to start on this project. Probably my biggest problem is that I don't know what measurements to make on the design. I know that with the measurements I can simply go to Home Depot for consultation on the project, but right now I'm confused, probably because the shelves require that they are built at an angle.
Thank You for your help in this
Attached Images

Advertisement

nubilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

noob in this

You need to decide what's going on the rack and how many of them. Just lay whatever you're going to put in the rack on the floor in the same format design. If it helps, use blue masking tape to lay out the rack on the floor. Leave space between the magazines side by side and on top.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

noob in this

Laying this out on the floor is a really good idea but I would draw this out on graph paper as well. I would find the biggest mag you are going to display and allow 1/2 between with a 1" at the top. Make it so the mags will fit evenly width wise.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

noob in this

Thank you for your replies. I understand that I can draw a plan by measuring around what I'm displaying. Now I have the question of what angle to use. How would I determine that?
nubilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

noob in this

Experiment. There is no right or wrong answer. Take a board and put it against the wall. Raise the front a bit and rest the board on something. Start out with a pencil at each end. Put some magazines on the board and see how they sit. Raise it up if you're not happy. When you get to the inclination you want, trace the pattern on a piece of paper. Measure it with a protractor.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Weekend Builder

Rewards Points: 75

noob in this

You don't really need the angle; just put a faceplate in the front; the natural leaning angle of the book / magazine should be fine. I have seen some racks with the angle going towards the back (so magazines slide backwards then topple over), and some going towards the front (so maintain the book angle).

Alternatively, make it with no angle. Then cut a strip on an angle and simply insert it behind the face plate. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
noob in this-mag-rack.jpg  

Advertisement

Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote