DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

noisy storm door

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  buletbob 
#1 ·
I just installed a new wood entry door and storm door. The storm closes quietly when the entry door is close however it requires you to push it to close it shut. When the entry door is open it closes by itself but it slams shut (very rough and noisy). I've adjusted it and nothing seems to work. The storm door is a Larson . Any ideas on how to fix the door so it doesn't slam shut when the entry door is open or how to get it to close all the way when the entry door is closed?

#2 ·
Any door i install i make sure I order there heavy duty closer's. Being that the front entree door is so well weather striped the pressure created against the entree door has no place to go so it take more pressure from the closer to make up the difference.
It could also be the way the closer was installed.Let me explain how to install the closer correctly and see if you followed this procedure.
Take the closer and install the hold open washer over the shaft of the pump. Then install the long pin into the hole to the rear of the closer pull the shaft out 1/4" and us the hold open washer to keep it there. this is important.
take the jamb bracket and install on the jamb where it is going to be installed. there is a arrow on the bracket showing you which way to face it. when you hold the bracket against the jamb pull it away from the storm door a 1/4" and mark the holes in the bracket onto the jamb. drill these hole with a 1/8" drill bit. what I do is install this bracket with 4" drywall screws so they grab into the rough framing.
once the bracket is installed insert the pump on the bracket with the short pin. leaving the shaft sticking out that 1/4" that you set preveiously. install the door bracket to the pump and close the door, bring the pump up into position until it level and against the door. mark these holes on the door and drill with a 1/8" drill bit. install the bracket with the short heavy screws. unscrew the speed control of the pump to adjust the speed of the door closing, If the pump is installed properly,when the door just gets to the point of being closed the pump will release all of the pressure and pull the door in tight and latch. like I said above most of the doors come with some cheap closers, that's why i order the heavy duty closers, if you install the screen you should not have this problem because the pressure created between the doors has somewhere to escape. good luck BOB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.