Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
pvg

Share |
Question

No More Nails? Track Lighting Install

Hello everyone... looking for some advice here as it hasn't been easy finding information on my situation online...

I'd like to install track lighting in my apartment - the catch being that the ceiling is concrete. Even though I'm the owner, there could be an issue with using concrete screws (tapcon.com) as it could technically be viewed as a modification to the building structure as a whole.

My work around (and let me know if this makes sense) would be to use the "No More Nails Ultra" adhesive (http://www.lepageproducts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=72) to attach the tracks to the ceiling. I've seen solid reviews on the product, and the weight it can handle is far greater than the track/lights combined. I have a popcorn coating on my ceiling (building is a year old so I won't worry about the whole asbestos thing), and am wondering if I should just go for it and stick the track to the ceiling (as-is), or to remove a strip of the popcorn where the track would be prior to fixing to track to the roof?

Let me know what you think... other options are also welcome.

Thank you in advance.

pvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Still Learning

You want the glue to adhere to the concrete, not the popcorn. I would scrape off the popcorn where the lights will be. Also i dont think a few small concrete anchors will cause any problems.

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

I'd use mechanical fasteners to secure the track to the concrete. Adhesive with an electrical device isn't safe.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
pvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerup26 View Post
Adhesive wont do anything to electrical. If the lights arent heavy you should be fine. How is the light wired since there is no celing to hide/hold the wires? Need more info before we can proceed
There is an existing light fixture in the ceiling - so the electrical source/wiring isn't really an issue. I'll replace the current fixture with a new primary/canopy piece that provides the electrical feed for the tracks, and the tracks essentially plug-into it. The issue is basically trying to figure out my options for securely fastening the tracks to the ceiling.

Again... many thanks to those that have replied.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
pvg

Quote:
What in trying to get at is how all the exisiting electrical and light is fastened?
Sorry... not familiar with the terminology... pictures speak better than I do:
http://1goodhomeinspection.com/blog/...ure-wiring.jpg
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
pvg

Quote:
No I mean how is all it fastened to your celing? I know how lights are hooked up.
The actually metallic/pot-shaped piece to support the fixture? No clue - can't see clearly. I'd assume it would have to be with concrete screws. Which takes me back to the fact that I should be able to use concrete screws to secure the track. I'd like permission from building management before doing so, but then again, I'm sure many others have already drilled into their ceilings at some point.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

If there's a light there already then any existing fixture should technically be fastened fine the same way. Depending on the type of track light I guess the track portion may require to be fastened more. In that case I think you'd be fine with the adhesive as it's not actually bearing the entire weight of the fixture.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Tapcons do NOT work well on the vertical in concrete. Because of the variance in aggregate, drilling a perfect tapcon hole in a concrete ceiling is difficult.
Having done this job many times, I suggest you use 3/16" or 1/4" plastic sleeve anchors with 1-1/4" long screws. You should only need to drill into the ceiling 1"+ at the most. This typically will avoid hitting any radiant lines. You can buy a small pack at any big box store. Drill the hole, tap the anchor in, put the track and screw up.
If this is a 4' track that is being centered on the ceiling box and only has 3-4 heads you may be able to get by with gluing the ends.
The track MUST be properly attached to the ceiling box with the correct box/track adapter plate that typically comes with the track.
If this is a longer track, off-center or with more/bigger heads, it is NOT acceptable to glue to ceiling.
Holes can later be easily repaired with caulk or mud and become invisible. Since you have a concrete ceiling, I will assume you are in a Condo/mid-hi-rise building. I suggest you verify if the floor/ceiling contains radiant heat.
Hope that helps.
MarkusAIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

I used tapcons in cinder block, maybe it's better in cement, but I found that more then half of them did not actually have a tight stay. So yeah I would not use them vertically.

These would work though:

WAY overkill, but I'm sure they make smaller ones. These apply pressure sideways inside the hole, making them a very strong physical bond.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
pvg

Thanks everyone. Definitely have something to work with now...