DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

No experience, should I attempt crown molding?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dkpbxman 
#1 ·
This is probably a silly question, since I have exactly 0 wood working projects under my belt. I typically don't shy away from small DIY projects. I've replaced light fixtures, installed faucets, replaced leaky gas lines, repaired a refridgerator. But as I consider crown molding I wonder if I'm getting in over my head.

I'm selling a condo and have two options. 1) Fix about 30 nail pops and paint the ceiling, or 2) put up crown. Crown is a good selling point and just the thought of paining the ceiling makes my back hurt.

A friend bid the crown project at $800 (600 SF & 3 rooms). When I consider that I've gained no equity on this property--poor investment--its hard to justify. Its basically money I'm throwing away, and I'm already throwing away $1800 on carpets.

Also, the walls are not straight. This was a gut rehab (5 years old) over the original framing and the drywall is not straight and the corners are not square. I don't need to measure them to tell you that. One bedroom wall is bowed rediculously, but that is another topic for another day...

So, even if I could get through it, will I wish I'd spent the $800 at the end of the day?

Thanks,
Kristin

See less See more
#2 ·
The molding project that the others in this chatroom have been helping me with is just baseboard molding, turned upside down, with the flat side towards the wall [the other side is beveled and is more interesting] and attached about 1/2" below the ceiling.

I used a level on the lower edge so the distance between the ceiling and the upper edge of the molding does vary. I plan to touch up that gap with the same white of the ceiling.

I don't live in a major city so the molding that I got from the local lumber company was $2.50 / 7' length which I think is reasonable. However, on a trip to Habitat for Humanity, they had similar molding for about $2.00 / for a much longer length, although I didn't measure. I also invested in a miter saw about half-way through the project and that really saved some time. I'm nearly through and though it does look like newbie work, I don't think it turned out too badly. I'm going to put it throughout the rest of the house.

#6 ·
Options

There are a bunch of nail pops at the top of the walls. They are mild but noticable. I could use crown to conceal them, or could fix them and paint the ceiling...the other thing I could hide with crown is the paint line. Its mostely pretty good, but there are a few mistakes and I have no matching white left.

#8 ·
easy crown

You might want to look into putting up the crown but using cornice blocks at the corners (they make them for inside and outside corners) instead of the compound cuts.

I know it's "cheating" :) , but by doing it this way, only straight 90* cuts are needed.

Costs a little more money but I like the look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.