Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

No experience, should I attempt crown molding?

This is probably a silly question, since I have exactly 0 wood working projects under my belt. I typically don't shy away from small DIY projects. I've replaced light fixtures, installed faucets, replaced leaky gas lines, repaired a refridgerator. But as I consider crown molding I wonder if I'm getting in over my head.

I'm selling a condo and have two options. 1) Fix about 30 nail pops and paint the ceiling, or 2) put up crown. Crown is a good selling point and just the thought of paining the ceiling makes my back hurt.

A friend bid the crown project at $800 (600 SF & 3 rooms). When I consider that I've gained no equity on this property--poor investment--its hard to justify. Its basically money I'm throwing away, and I'm already throwing away $1800 on carpets.

Also, the walls are not straight. This was a gut rehab (5 years old) over the original framing and the drywall is not straight and the corners are not square. I don't need to measure them to tell you that. One bedroom wall is bowed rediculously, but that is another topic for another day...

So, even if I could get through it, will I wish I'd spent the $800 at the end of the day?

Thanks,
Kristin

kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #2

The molding project that the others in this chatroom have been helping me with is just baseboard molding, turned upside down, with the flat side towards the wall [the other side is beveled and is more interesting] and attached about 1/2" below the ceiling.

I used a level on the lower edge so the distance between the ceiling and the upper edge of the molding does vary. I plan to touch up that gap with the same white of the ceiling.

I don't live in a major city so the molding that I got from the local lumber company was $2.50 / 7' length which I think is reasonable. However, on a trip to Habitat for Humanity, they had similar molding for about $2.00 / for a much longer length, although I didn't measure. I also invested in a miter saw about half-way through the project and that really saved some time. I'm nearly through and though it does look like newbie work, I don't think it turned out too badly. I'm going to put it throughout the rest of the house.

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
jan

That's about as complete a list of reasons not to try as I've ever heard. Fix the nail pops and paint the place.

Jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #4

It really wasn't that bad or expensive. But nail pops definitely would be easier and more economical. Good luck.
shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin View Post

I'm selling a condo and have two options. 1) Fix about 30 nail pops and paint the ceiling, or 2) put up crown. Crown is a good selling point
I can not make the conection between these two options. If the walls are not straight and you have never done molding the chanes of it coming out looking good enough to improve the sale are slim.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
I can not make the conection between these two options. If the walls are not straight and you have never done molding the chanes of it coming out looking good enough to improve the sale are slim.
There are a bunch of nail pops at the top of the walls. They are mild but noticable. I could use crown to conceal them, or could fix them and paint the ceiling...the other thing I could hide with crown is the paint line. Its mostely pretty good, but there are a few mistakes and I have no matching white left.
kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #7

nix the crown get a quart of white, fix teh nail holes. no crown will look better then messed up crown
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #8

You might want to look into putting up the crown but using cornice blocks at the corners (they make them for inside and outside corners) instead of the compound cuts.

I know it's "cheating" , but by doing it this way, only straight 90* cuts are needed.

Costs a little more money but I like the look.

dkpbxman is offline   Reply With Quote