Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Newb needs Advice on replacing Deck Boards (2x4's, 2x6's)

Hello all,

I'm about to replace my deck boards on a 22' x 22' deck. Deck has to match the next door (duplex) deck since it's exactly the same and of course joining.. I'm in a place where there is lots of Sunshine, but it also get's VERY cold and some Snow is usually around for most of the Winter, but do get warm periods where the snow will completely melt away... Deck has ZERO shade as well. Wood being used is PTP and is not kiln dried, so it should have a moderate amount of moisture.

My question is when replacing my 2x4's and 2x6's (I ordered 12'ers) should I be spacing these things out or not? I've read a lot of 'mixed' views while searching the threads (and Google) and am more confused than before! I was thinking that to be safe, I would use either a 3/32" or 1/8" spacer so as not to have Large Gaps. Does that sound reasonable with the type of wood that I'm using?

Also, I have a 3/4 box of 1000 #8, 3 1/4" Green Deck Screws ("Kwiki Premium Plus for PTP" brand) from a Buddy who didn't need them and wondered if these are the proper ones to be used for the installation of this type of wood?

I'm not a huge fan of the 'staggered' wood look (seems to be raised edges everywhere!) and decided to install them in 12' lengths which would create a seam down the middle of the deck (it basically has one right now anyway..), any thoughts on this?

Any advice and/or Installation Tips are MOST welcome!

/Cheers,

PS: Is there any such tool that can straighten 'slight' curves in 2x4's and 2x6's?

Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Most decks are done with 5/4 X 6' deck boards, not 2 X's.
If your going to use 2 X's use the 2 X 6's.
Never space them. Once they dry out there will be more then enough gap.
Having one seam down the middle is not a great look and it will be weaker. It will look like a DIY built it.
Those screws will work.
I'd go buy a Ryobi impact drill driver a charger and 2, battery's.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Most decks are done with 5/4 X 6' deck boards, not 2 X's.
If your going to use 2 X's use the 2 X 6's.
Never space them. Once they dry out there will be more then enough gap.
Having one seam down the middle is not a great look and it will be weaker. It will look like a DIY built it.
Those screws will work.
I'd go buy a Ryobi impact drill driver a charger and 2, battery's.

Unfortunately because the decks join over a garage and were made at the same time, they used all 2x4's and 2x6's (half and half) and as such, they 'meet' in the middle with a small dividing fence. Thus my reason for having to do my side the same way... (Neighbors boards were replaced throughout the years but mine were not...)

So don't use a Gap eh? Freaks me out not using a spacer of 'some degree' (even 3/32', but that's why I'm here asking these questions in order to find out why, etc...

Should note that the deck already looks like a DIY project and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that the 'seam down the middle' will make it look 'any worse' than it is now. As I stated earlier there is in fact a seam right down the middle 'already', but that isn't the worst of it... The 'staggered boards' REALLY look awful and as a result there are 'many more' boards sticking up where they butt and it's a terrible distraction. If I do in fact stagger the boards again, I'll definitely have to bring back about 40 of the 12'ers and go with a smaller boards so that there's less waste of wood.

I have an older Black and Decker drill (Old and Heavy), but have decided to pick up a lighter Makita set that has both the 18v impact driver and 1/2" regular drill with Lithium Ion batteries, the set is on sale at a Big Box store here in Alberta.

Cheers,
Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #4

Make sure to get some more battery's for it or you'll have a lot of down time.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Make sure to get some more battery's for it or you'll have a lot of down time.
I picked up the Professional Series 18V (3.0AH) lithium-ion combo kit so I have an extra battery, combined with my older B&D Firestorm as a backup which has 3 batteries...(2 very good, 1 so-so..) I think I should be good.

Cheers,