Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

New Windows / divided light question.

I've been shopping for new windows and I'm going to go with Anderson 400 series doublehung. I priced these windows with and without the divided lights. The 1 over 1 lights vs 6 over 6 makes about $180 difference. $180 times 15 windows = my new mountain bike.
The $180 price difference is only for the interior and exterior surface mounted grills and does not include the grill between the panes of glass.
Does the adhesive that Anderson uses need a special process that can only be applied at the Anderson factory?
If I can fabricate these grills myself out of PVC, is there a way to permanently stick the grills on myself?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

Silicone would work great and not be seen if done carefully. Around here they put the divided light windows on the front only or road sides of the house and leave the rest of the house plain. It saves cost unless your wanting to look at the divided light windows. Most people do it for curb appeal and nothing else.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I've been shopping for new windows and I'm going to go with Anderson 400 series doublehung. I priced these windows with and without the divided lights. The 1 over 1 lights vs 6 over 6 makes about $180 difference. $180 times 15 windows = my new mountain bike.
The $180 price difference is only for the interior and exterior surface mounted grills and does not include the grill between the panes of glass.
Does the adhesive that Anderson uses need a special process that can only be applied at the Anderson factory?
If I can fabricate these grills myself out of PVC, is there a way to permanently stick the grills on myself?
Hmmm.....That's a different approach....let us know how this goes...pics, details, etc....

BTW - One issue might be the clear silicone and how it looks attached from the inside view of the window.

In other words, you will not be able to squeeze out ''clean'', ''straight'' lines of silicone. It will come out slightly ''wavy'' and even ''blobby''...and that will be visible when looking outside from the interior of the home.....

You could examine other means of attachment that will look more visibly ''pleasing''....and will work with the New England weather elements as well as hot summers.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #4

The product that you are asking about is called VHB - for "Very High Bond" - tape.

It is made by 3M and it is available from a variety of sources. Google VHB tape and it will tell you about the product.

If you have access to companies like Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, U-Line, CR Laurence - any of those and many others - you can get the tape from them. If none of those names means a thing to you then the search has just become harder - but they all have internet outlets and you can still buy from them that way.

I can just about guarantee that when you see the actual price of VHB tape that you will !!!!!!!!!!!!

The bond between the glass and the tape can be stronger than the cohesive strength of the glass - meaning that it is permanent once applied.

Good luck - and I also am curious how it works out for you.
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
I have gas!

Exactly. Wow. $22 for a 15' roll. Let's see if I use one roll/window that only leaves me 158 big adhesive bucks to fabricate a grill. I think I could almost get Norm to make one at that price. Almost.
Thanks I'm going to give it a shot. I'll post pix as I progress. It's windowway robbery that Anderson charges that much for such a simple divided light addition.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

I was about to go order the grilles as well.

I searched for "window grilles" on google and found a few companies that sell the grilles. One is: http://www.newpanes.com/
They mention on the home page that the winow shown has grilles for only $12. Might want to look into that, unless you already have access to the material and machines necessary to make them.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #7

Zel, Thank you for the link.

Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote