New Window Under Old Beam - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

New Window Under Old Beam

I'm enclosing an existing porch. There's an existing beam spanning the entire width, carrying the roof load. I'm framing up a wall underneath the beam and will be adding three windows. The beam is lower than I'd prefer, but not low enough to remove it and build a load-bearing wall.

My question: Is there any issue using the beam as the top of my rough window opening? Most drawings I've seen (and the method a pro crew used to frame a garage we added last year) set a horizontal 2x6 below the header (sometimes with cripples between) as a nailer for the window fin.

I can't see that there would be any problems to nail directly to the beam, but I've been surprised before.

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisement

gatorheel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

This would be similar to log cabin construction. In that case ample room has to be left above the window for the header because as the logs dry out the whole top of the cabin comes down by a couple inches. In your case, it is an old structure so the settling should be done. I would still leave some room above the window to be safe. It might even be good to have some kind of sliding joint to allow movement between the window trim and the beam. I wouldn't fasten anything of the window to the beam.

Advertisement

MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 546

Got a picture? From what I'm picturing I see no problum using that beam as a header. A header is just to support whatever is above it, since it's already supported it's not needed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Yes you will be ok as long as the window is not tight u need some clearance on all 4 sides of window for expansion, contractions and settling
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 81

Here's a pic. It's a bizarre balcony arrangement, but once I wall it off it'll make a nice little 6x12 office. I can't wait to get it done if for nothing else that I can finally repaint.

I was trying to maximize window size, but it turns out that the closest standard size window is about 4" shorter than I'd wanted, so instead of spending nearly 2x to go custom I'll have a little room to play. You may be able to see one problem: the bottom of the beam is a few inches below the current window tops. I haven't decided exactly how I'll position the new ones, but I'm hoping I can use trim to make it blend. Either way, it'll be symmetrical, so that will help.
Attached Thumbnails
New Window Under Old Beam-2013-02-08-11.28.40.jpg  
gatorheel is online now   Reply With Quote