Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

New window frames?

Hi. I am renting a 1950's home that I am considering buying. My question concerns whether the window frames need replacing along with the windows. The inside upper frames have rope on which the window "glides." Is this an indication that the frames are original to the home? I love the woodwork around the windows. Would it be an added cost to preserve it if the frames need replacing? There is a quadruple window, and three triple windows, all of which are divided by woodwork. Is this type of configuration generally more costly to replace? Although a small home, these upgrades could make this home a poor investment. I'm leaving this work to a professional. Clearly not a DIY. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Part 2
I think I need to clarify. When I was researching window replacement there was a distinction between replacing the windows alone, and the window frames as well. Is my assumption that the window frame consists of all the parts that would be used when installing a window in new construction? Consumer Reports gave the Marvin Clad Ultimate window the highest marks, well above Pella. It also made a distinction between "full" and "partial" replacement windows. Can anyone explain the difference? Any comments on Consumer Report's ratings? I apologize for my remedial questions!

Last edited by PCMLR; 10-08-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: clarification
PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Mod

New window frames?

You can install replacement windows that will fit inside of your existing woodwork.

If measured correctly they can be installed without removing any trim other than the stops holding the old panes in place.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
PCMLR (10-08-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #3

New window frames?

You might want to consider restoring the sashes. That is a fun and interesting DIY project especially if you don't have too many windows.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
PCMLR (10-08-2010)

Tags
replacement windows, window frame replacement, windows