Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

New to site and wood working

Random question here....

I'm new to this site and this is the first time I've ever made anything out of wood...

I'm making a large closet for in my garage to store clothing for off season. My question is such that once all the wood is glued down and drilled together there are obviously still small seems and openings. What can i use to seal those up so that this unit becomes enclosed and keeps dust and spiders and other non wanted things out?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #2

First a garage is not the best place to store anything that may mold up, add to that your trying to store it in an air tight room with no air flow and it will just happen faster.
There is no screwing and glue involved when building just a closet unless you count screwing on the sheetrock which should get screwed to the walls.
If you have never done any framing before you need to learn what a rough opening is and how to make one for the door framing. There's going to have to be blocking added to attach the walls to the garage walls.
Not sure why you think there's going to be holes or gaps, Once it's framed in just cover the walls inside and out with sheetrock making sure to not have it within 1/2" of the floor.
The bottom plate will need to be pressure treated wood.
Add 2 X 6 blocking where the closit pole will be mounted.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #3

I will let a more experienced woodworker answer the part about sealing it up, but I think you might want to consider using garment bags inside the closet, even if you think you have it sealed up properly. Make sure the bags have ventilation holes with bug screens over them.

In my garage, it would be impossible to keep out the various bugs, spiders and other possible intruders with just the structure, no matter how well I think I closed it up. If the doors open freely, there is a natural gap, and bugs and moths can get in very, very small spaces.

So... if you bag all the clothes with hanging garment bags, I think you stand a better chance of keeping your clothes in good shape.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

Thanks to both responses. Yes agreed will do bags when done too.

As for the more technical response. thanks! Again this is my first time ever making anything.

I just started the project and let me explain what I have done thus far and my settings:

I framed the from and back with 2x4's all around. Behind the top and bottom I screwed in a 2x2 to screw down the top, bottom, and side ply wood sides. On the back back I glued and screw to the 2x4's 2 sheets of 3/4" ply as the backing.

My garage floor is concrete and I had planned to anchor this unit to the stucco wall that connects the garage to the house.

That's my settings and where I currently am with the project. Once I out the sides on my last step was to put the shelves in the hanging rod and fabricate the doors. At least that was the plan in my "newbie/green" head of mine. Lol.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Stairguy

Usually a closet is framed with 2x4s which are fastened to the ceiling and floor with a top and bottom plate. any wood touching concrete should be pressure treated. Once the framework is secured and door opening is made you would typically use drywall...not plywood. It's much cheaper and really easy to work with. But plywood works in a garage I guess. Then you could buy a prehung door and install it into your opening, which should've been predetermined. then the inside is trimmed with any shelves or closet poles.
Millertyme is online now   Reply With Quote