DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   New patio step (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/new-patio-step-109100/)

dinosaur1 06-28-2011 07:31 PM

New patio step
 
3 Attachment(s)
Azek step
Cedar covering wall
Treated wood for base

Local contractor made it in 3 hrs
Old step is the last pic

What do you guys think?

Ron6519 06-28-2011 09:32 PM

The old step had more character.

concretemasonry 06-28-2011 10:07 PM

After thought comments:

A little deeper top tread area would provide a and safer and more comfortable situation.

Is the spry foam foam there to prevent the area under the step from drying out? Water will enter between the treads and from the vinyl channel

Looks like good work that could be done quickly with minimum time and materials.

Dick

dinosaur1 06-28-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretemasonry
After thought comments:

A little deeper top tread area would provide a and safer and more comfortable situation.

Is the spry foam foam there to prevent the area under the step from drying out? Water will enter between the treads and from the vinyl channel

Looks like good work that could be done quickly with minimum time and materials.

Dick

Correct

Overall he did a great job you think?

Ron6519 06-28-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 676247)
Correct

Overall he did a great job you think?

No, he did not do a great job. He did the job of an uninformed handyman.
There is no flashing under the door and over the wood. So water will get behind the wood and rot the rim joist and sill plate
He has expanded foam oozing out the side of this step for some reason.
Expanded foam has no business being in an exposed situation. It will deteriorate exposed to the Sun and more water will get behind the step.
Over all, in my opinion, the guy should not be using tools.
He stays in business because he works for people who don't know the difference between a competant and a bad job.

dinosaur1 06-28-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519
No, he did not do a great job. He did the job of an uniformed handyman.
There is no flashing under the door and over the wood. So water will get behind the wood and rot the rim joist and sill plate
He has expanded foam oozing out the side of this step for some reason.
Expanded foam has no business being in an exposed situation. It will deteriorate exposed to the Sun and more water will get behind the step.
Over all, in my opinion, the guy should not be using tools.

Actually we have Vulcam sealant all around. The foam is on top of the sealant just as an extra precautionary in that small area. >>>see my water issue thread.

As far as the flashing. Did you look at the old step pic where this OSB (which has Tyvek behind it) was exposed? He placed cedar over that....

concretemasonry 06-28-2011 11:23 PM

Now that I had a chance to read and think, I am glad I said it "LOOKS" like it is good workmanship, but after thinking, the planning and design was more minimal than I quicky thought originally. - The foam did bother me, but that was a good call on the flashing and moisture that has seemed to haunt this home for many reasons.

Dick

dinosaur1 06-28-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretemasonry
Now that I had a chance to read and think, I am glad I said it "LOOKS" like it is good workmanship, but after thinking, the planning and design was more minimal than I quicky thought originally. - The foam did bother me, but that was a good call on the flashing and moisture that has seemed to haunt this home for many reasons.

Dick

Well....control joints on our poured concrete that drip small amounts of water on the cement floor .....drywall and baseboards which are dry..... has nothing to do with what your mentioning here. That's more of a grading issue or a small crack in the control joint where I might add epoxy injection to fix it.

dinosaur1 06-29-2011 01:06 AM

By the way there is vinyl siding behind the step.

kwikfishron 06-29-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 676312)
By the way there is vinyl siding behind the step.

Thatís not what Iím seeing.:wink:

BTW, I could put ďthatĒ step together in about 30 min (or less).:yes:

Ron6519 06-29-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 676275)
Actually we have Vulcam sealant all around. The foam is on top of the sealant just as an extra precautionary in that small area. >>>see my water issue thread.

As far as the flashing. Did you look at the old step pic where this OSB (which has Tyvek behind it) was exposed? He placed cedar over that....

Foam has no use in this allpication. None.
Putting wood under the door without flashing is wrong. I don't care what's in back of it. Tyvek will not keep water away from the sheathing.
You want to push this?
The house is maintenance free. He should have used composite board under the door, not cedar.
He put wood directly on the concrete and then left it exposed to the elements.
He should have applied composite to the bottom to keep the water off the wood.
He should have wrapped the step in composite to make the whole thing maintenance free.
And finally, this is a DIY forum. You've been here awile. This is a simple DIY project.
Why didn't you do it and why are you showing us a picture of a contractors(your term) work?
Posting half assed work by someone else and looking for an "at a boy" is a little pathetic.

tcleve4911 06-29-2011 08:56 AM

ATTA BOY............:eek:

How much did that cost?

ATTA BOY..............:huh:

Just another example of what kind of thoughtless workmanship is out there....:(

dinosaur1 06-29-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519
Foam has no use in this allpication. None.
Putting wood under the door without flashing is wrong. I don't care what's in back of it. Tyvek will not keep water away from the sheathing.
You want to push this?
The house is maintenance free. He should have used composite board under the door, not cedar.
He put wood directly on the concrete and then left it exposed to the elements.
He should have applied composite to the bottom to keep the water off the wood.
He should have wrapped the step in composite to make the whole thing maintenance free.
And finally, this is a DIY forum. You've been here awile. This is a simple DIY project.
Why didn't you do it and why are you showing us a picture of a contractors(your term) work?
Posting half assed work by someone else and looking for an "at a boy" is a little pathetic.

Vs badgering people have a little respect man...

dinosaur1 06-29-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519
Foam has no use in this allpication. None.
Putting wood under the door without flashing is wrong. I don't care what's in back of it. Tyvek will not keep water away from the sheathing.
You want to push this?
The house is maintenance free. He should have used composite board under the door, not cedar.
He put wood directly on the concrete and then left it exposed to the elements.
He should have applied composite to the bottom to keep the water off the wood.
He should have wrapped the step in composite to make the whole thing maintenance free.
And finally, this is a DIY forum. You've been here awile. This is a simple DIY project.
Why didn't you do it and why are you showing us a picture of a contractors(your term) work?
Posting half assed work by someone else and looking for an "at a boy" is a little pathetic.

Keep water off wood? Lol
Wow I wonder how things like decks and Pergola's survive out there with the same type of treated wood. ....:)

I'm done here. Thx

Ron6519 06-29-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 676420)
Vs badgering people have a little respect man...

Sent you a PM.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.