Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


hello everyone, new to the forum.
im currently ALMOSt finished with this dining room. i put tongue and groove on the ceiling and hung drywall. the kitchen (which was the back porch) was added and the header now needs covered up. i ripped the board wider than the actual header BUT the ceiling is kind of off. so my question is:

how do i rip this board to cover the tounge and groove and still keep the bottom of this header level??

im completely stumped on this??
i realize its an old house and un-level but this is insane!!
Attached Thumbnails
new member needs help boxing in header-dsc00970-large-.jpg  

88rxn/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 25
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


You just need to scribe the top of the board to fit the uneven ceiling.
1.Get a compass that has a set screw so it won't change while you are scribing.
2. Put the board you are going to use to cover the header up against the ceiling, and level the bottom of the board.
3. Put the pin of the compass against the ceiling, and draw a line all the way across the board.
4. When you cut that line, the board will fit perfectly against the ceiling, and the bottom of the board will be level.

FIA Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Member
 
CrossWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 150
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Will you be adding a "Bed Moulding" around the inside corner of the ceiling in the entire room?? If you plan on this, then it'll cover up that gap on the right no problem and scribing may not be necessary.


This image shows "crown moulding" but you get the idea. The most common bed mould used is #WM72/8016 [9-1/6"x1-3/4"] which will cover 1-1/4" from the ceiling down. So, this should more then cover the gap you have now.


Otherwise stick to the "Ranch Plan".
__________________
A great personality will open many doors in life,
but it's your character that keeps them open!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Before I installed this wood, I would try and find out why the area under the header is obviously under built. If the kitchen was an addition, the header was not sized properly as it's not original to the house.
How old is the kitchen area?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 348
Rewards Points: 250
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


is that T shirt like a Kilt? if so post the rest of the picture and we'll help ya
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Question

new member needs help boxing in header


ok, did what you said.
now, since the kitchen (in the background) is un level and the board is level on the bottom. i feel like im in a haunted house....so to compensate....do i measure form the HEADER or the FLOOR to make it match the house??
i still have room and would like to save this board since its not cheap now A days.
could someone shed some lite?
88rxn/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Before I installed this wood, I would try and find out why the area under the header is obviously under built. If the kitchen was an addition, the header was not sized properly as it's not original to the house.
How old is the kitchen area?
Ron

sorry i didnt catch this.
are you sayin underbuilt because of the sag?
i really dont know how old the kitchen is?
i do know it was a porch at one time.
88rxn/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossWorks View Post
Will you be adding a "Bed Moulding" around the inside corner of the ceiling in the entire room?? If you plan on this, then it'll cover up that gap on the right no problem and scribing may not be necessary.


This image shows "crown moulding" but you get the idea. The most common bed mould used is #WM72/8016 [9-1/6"x1-3/4"] which will cover 1-1/4" from the ceiling down. So, this should more then cover the gap you have now.


Otherwise stick to the "Ranch Plan".
hmmm, are you sayin to use molding up and over the board she is holding up?
i plan to run a molding around the rest of the room and if dont look to bad runing the molding over the board i would try it.
88rxn/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #9
Member
 
CrossWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 150
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Yup. The picture shows the "inside corner" of the ceiling. And so once your board has been nailed, a Bed Moulding can be added onto the board and around the entire inside corner of the room.

It always looks good and it'll hide the gap. Just keep in mind though that it will follow the swoop of the ceiling and appear a tad crooked in that area.

But in this case, you have to "go with the flow".
__________________
A great personality will open many doors in life,
but it's your character that keeps them open!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Quote:
Originally Posted by 88rxn/a View Post
sorry i didnt catch this.
are you sayin underbuilt because of the sag?
i really dont know how old the kitchen is?
i do know it was a porch at one time.
When the kitchen went into the porch, the wall was opened up and studs were removed to increase the opening size. There's a structural member above the opening that was supposed to be sized to the load on it. It looks like someone put in a header that was too small and as a result the top of the opening is sagging.
Was this investigated when the area was opened?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

new member needs help boxing in header


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossWorks View Post
Yup. The picture shows the "inside corner" of the ceiling. And so once your board has been nailed, a Bed Moulding can be added onto the board and around the entire inside corner of the room.

It always looks good and it'll hide the gap. Just keep in mind though that it will follow the swoop of the ceiling and appear a tad crooked in that area.

But in this case, you have to "go with the flow".
OIC, ill have to see what it looks like.


Quote:
When the kitchen went into the porch, the wall was opened up and studs were removed to increase the opening size. There's a structural member above the opening that was supposed to be sized to the load on it. It looks like someone put in a header that was too small and as a result the top of the opening is sagging.
Was this investigated when the area was opened?
Ron
actually, this house is OLD. double boarded old....the rest of the house has been studded and so forth. i bought the house with the dining room having the ceiling open and walls opened. the house is 90% complete. they couldnt finish and had to sell letting me snag it for a GREAT deal.
i guess i never really seen ow bad it was (not a carpenter by trade) untill i started working on it.

88rxn/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Header question dc4nomore Building & Construction 35 10-12-2008 05:32 PM
Garage Header Insight red3908v Building & Construction 4 04-27-2008 08:55 AM
Moving Header Supports Star Building & Construction 3 09-25-2005 12:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.