New Materials For Interior Trim??? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New materials for interior trim???

My B-I-L and S-I-L just moved into a new house with a style of interior trim I have not seen before. It appears the baseboards are a plain 1 x 5 or 1 x 6 with a radiused top edge. The door casings are plain 1 x 4 or 1 x 5 with a piece of outside corner wrapping around the perimeter of the installed casing work. Very crisp and clean appearance.

What makes it look different is the finish. The trim is plain white in color with absolutely perfect surface finish. It appears to me that these trim pieces are either 100% plastic or they are a MDO product with a factory applied white finish - poured on and baked paint, not sprayed.

Anyone else seen these? What is it?

I may be flipping the house next door, which has seen no updates since it was built in 1978, and this trim intrigues me.

Thanks,

Advertisement

MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

we used to spray regular trim and get the same finish. we used benjamin moore impervo oil paint. the trim felt like it was plastic coated it was so smooth.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

my first guess would be a spray finish done well.

Pics may help get more specific responses.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
we used to spray regular trim and get the same finish. we used benjamin moore impervo oil paint. the trim felt like it was plastic coated it was so smooth.
Thanks. That must be what was done as no seams or joints are visible either, making the entire door casings appear to be a single molded piece.

How did you fill any joints before painting? Regular filling putty or paintable caulk? Was the shoe moulding painted after the solid flooring installed, or were these pieces painted loose and touched up after nailing into place? Airless sprayer I assume?
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

It could still be extruded trim of some kind. They have some nice polystyrene and similar material out there I have run across in cheap flips and some new construction I would not live in. It is usually glued on as nails blow right through it. Looks nice but will ding it seconds.

It could be the finish over pine or fir. You can achieve a similar finish to what you describe with nice gloss paint and a brush stroke conditioner like Penetrol for oil or Floetrol for acrylic. Nice trim brush of course.

Maybe somebody ran a special router bit around the edge of fairly simple trim?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote