New Home With No Teleposts - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Home With no Teleposts

I am building a new house in Saskatoon SK. It will be an approx 1000' sq feet bi-level. and at be approx 38' x 27' ...give or take a bit either way. My question is this. I would like the basement to have no teleposts because I want the basement to be as wide open as possible. I would put one or more steel beams in as wide as 14' and of any weight required. I work in the steel industry so I can get a great deal on a beam or beams so the price of them is of no importance to me. The other option I have heard of is using open web floor joists. I don't care how it is accomplished I just want no teleposts so if anyone has any ideas please let me know your thoughts

Advertisement

IanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Home With no Teleposts

Bar joists are capable of some impressive spans, but they are not conducive to residential construction. They're normally used in conjunction with corrugated steel decking and concrete floors or rigid roof decks. They're no good for plywood sheathing...It could be done but isn't your best option.

Since you're in the steel business, a big beam is a no-brainer in my opinion. I would imagine that you can incorporate a very heavy and wide beam to get the span you're needing.

There are design considerations. Since you're wanting to take all the interior loads of the house and concentrate them to two bearing points on the foundation at the beam's bearing, the foundation and footing have to be capable of taking the concentrated loads. Only an engineer can determine that.

Only an engineer can specify a steel beam size for you based on the loads of your house. If you have an architect, they may be able to assist you as well.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote