Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

New Guy Here Building a Free Floating Deck

Hey Guys,

New to the site but I am in the process of tearing down my old 24'x10' deck boards and wanting to redo the framing for the new deck. Underneath the deck I have 24'x8' concrete patio and I want to set pier blocks on the corners and ends of the concrete patio and was unsure if this would cause any problems with the concrete or not? I have a deck design that I will post shortly that I got off of decks.com, but since I am not able to get a 24' 2'x10' to the house can you take a 16' 2x10 and attach it at a pier block in the middle?

Just some basic questions didn't know if anyone could help me out. I live in a rural area so there is not much for code regulations on deck out here but I would like to build the deck to 55-60 psf. with no issues.

thanks
warrrior327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

It's doubtful the concrete patio is set up to act as footing pads for your new posts.

BTW, no matter where you live, you really should only say: "I will have no municipal inspections." Codes are just common sense (for the most part) guidelines that any of us would be foolish to ignore.

Pick a big city near you, and build to their codes.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-15-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #3

This is the deck design that I am looking to build. Where the beam runs underneath the joists is where the concrete patio ends and this is where I will be placing pier blocks to support the deck. Since it is a free floating deck I do know that I will have to place pier blocks throughout to support the weight of the deck all being place on a concrete patio.

http://www.decks.com/images/icons/pdf.gif

This is the design I cannot seem to upload it or paste it on here for some reason. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

I didn't think it was setup for pier blocks either but the other problem I run into is that the utility companies came out and marked the utility lines and I have a electrical line that is run underneath ground at the end of the 8' pad that goes around the corner of it and run into the house.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Couldn't get your site to open. Is this where it's found?
http://www.decks.com/pictures
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

http://www.decks.com/deckplans/download/13051513292720

Try this and it is the first adobe and it will be on the second page. You will have to download the 1LA2410.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Old School

Well, you're still back to square one. You gotta cut out that concrete, and dig down to pour some footing pads..... or rent a bobcat and just take the whole thing out.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

warrior,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would recommend downloading and reading the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide." It is based upon the code requirements of the 2009 International Residential Code, which may or may not apply to your area. It will provide you with pretty much everything you'd want to know. This is based upon 40 psf live load and 10 psf dead load for a total loading of 50 psf.

Decks built close to the ground typically have problems in the long run because of moisture issues even when using preservative treated or naturally weather durable wood. I'd give consideration to having a patio and not a deck if you're close to the ground, but that's your decision.

If you want to use higher live loads than the deck guide was based upon just make your spans less than indicated. I'd expect a 10' 2x10 preservative treated southern pine joist at 16" o.c. to be able to handle a total load around 100 psf depending on knots and defects.

Typically you want to install footings to at least your frost depth to prevent movement due to frost heave. Most building codes (cannot speak directly of your because we do not know where you're located, could edit your profile to include this info) will allow more flexibility in a free standing deck. This is one that has no connection or support from your existing dwelling, and the door existing onto the deck is not a required means of egress door, and the deck is not more than 30" above the ground. You'd have to verify all this with your local building department.

My thoughts however are if you're spending good money to build something you want it to last so I'd put in footings below frost depth. If my deck would be close to the ground I'd have a patio and not a deck. Just my thoughts .... Remember just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'd hate for your to remember in a few years, "oh yeah, he did warn me of that!"

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 05-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #9

Thank you for the helpful replies. I have thought about going back to the concrete patio that is 24'x8'. The only issue is that the door is raised so I will have to concrete steps on top of the existing concrete steps to reach the desired height. That should not be a big problem though. The deck is actually 2' 6" off the ground. I just have problems with putting in footings due to the electrical line running underground at the end of the concrete patio. I am having utility companies come out and mark the lines to b sure I know where they are at, and if I am able to could I dig holes for concrete (permitting electrical lines), and put posts in the footings and pier block off the part of the deck closest to the house, or should I just stick with not pier blocking at all on the concrete patio?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #10

where are you located? may want to edit your profile to include your location as many times answers to questions are based upon location

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote