Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

New fence fade prevention

The wife and I purchases our first home last April and have been remodeling the house from bottom to top one room at a time. When we moved into the home the whole back yard was weeds and very neglected and has stayed that way all summer. We are currently in the process of ripping out the back yard and starting from scratch.
This is where my problem comes in. One of our neighbors is a huge pack rat and has all sorts of unsightly "treasure" in his back yard. We didn't want to remove a few privacy bushes that blocked the view of his yard but were forced to so we could solve some drainage issues. Because we removed the bushed we now want to put up a 6' privacy fence. We can only afford to do just enough fence to block the view on that side of the yard and would do the rest next spring. I'm very gung ho and would love to start working on it tonight but my wife is worried that the fence installed this fall will fade and not match the fence we would install in the spring. Is there a good way to keep the fence looking like new so it will all match when were all done? Will simply sealing it prevent fading enough that this will not be an issue? Thanks for the tips in advance!
FYI, I am using all Ceder and copying the look in this link.
http://www.productionfenceworks.com/...edar-pine.html

Dr. Awsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #2

Yeah, but it'll it cost you to the tune of 87.00 a gallon. One of my suppliers has a new product called "Wood Protect" . I don't have the brochure nearby so I can't get you their website, but if you google it up I'm sure you'll find it.

I've only recently started using it so I can't give you long term results confirmation, but I'm impressed so far.

deckman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #3

yowza! If that's the only way I think I'll wait until spring so it will all age together.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Even if you do not wait it will age out after a year or so of exposure.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #5

When I have repaired or added to a fence, I don't do anything. It it very differing at first, but pretty soon starts to change and after a year or so all is pretty much the same.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #6

I would really like to keep the new look as long as possible. I'm willing to do some maintenance to it every year or even twice a year if needed. I can imagine that the style I am trying to do will loose the look of the details if I just let it fade to grey.