Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #1

Share |

New exterior door--hang it myself vs. pre-hung?

I have a home built in 1951 with a walkout basement. I've just finished framing and insulating the block walls in the basement, which of course has added several inches to the wall thickness. The door leading to the garage needs to be moved back flush with the interior side of the wall, and I'm trying to decide the best way to do this. The door is original, a heavy wooden raised-panel door with a half-window that is single pane. There are jambs nailed into the ends of the adjoining block walls.

At best, the wood door with glass has an R- value of 0.5 to 1, and feels pretty cold in the winter. I was considering replacing it with an insulated door (the glass is also a modern code violation, but that's not worrying me at this point).

If I keep the door, I need to replace the jambs with those of proper width, and rehang the door, though I've never done that before and have heard it can be a chore. A pre-hung door would solve that problem, though that would add a wooden threshold that currently isn't there. I've got a lot of heavy woodworking equipment in the basement and its nice to be able to roll it in/out of the garage as I do at present (the basement and garage slabs are flush).

Does it make sense to replace the door with an insulated door?

If I went with a pre-hung door, would it make sense to cut away the threshold after installation, or would that weaken the frame in some way?

Thanks.

dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #2

Go with a pre-hung and leave the threshold in place. It's a minor inconvenience compared to heat loss and comfort. Have you considered an out swing door. Might be more beneficial with regards to work space or ease of egress.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
the Musigician

What is the flooring at this spot?

DM
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Experienced

All depends on how handy you are, and it sounds like you are. Go for the challenge.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
What is the flooring at this spot?

DM
The floor is smooth concrete, garage and basement floors are continuous/flush.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Go with a pre-hung and leave the threshold in place. It's a minor inconvenience compared to heat loss and comfort. Have you considered an out swing door. Might be more beneficial with regards to work space or ease of egress.
But I have a tight seal already using a relatively flat metal threshold that I can easily remove when I need to. There's a matching rubber seal on the bottom of the door that is airtight. But the nice thing is that the threshold can be removed in less than a minute, and replaced when I'm done.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
All depends on how handy you are, and it sounds like you are. Go for the challenge.
LOL. I'm up for a challenge, but my house is full of challenges so I've gotta choose my battles carefully. If this one is a worthy cause though, especially to keep a removable threshold, I would go for it.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave11 View Post
But I have a tight seal already using a relatively flat metal threshold that I can easily remove when I need to. There's a matching rubber seal on the bottom of the door that is airtight. But the nice thing is that the threshold can be removed in less than a minute, and replaced when I'm done.
Good deal, I'd not want to lose the flush either.

DM
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Well if it will work, go for it!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
A door a day is all I ask

You could order the prehung door without a threshold installed.
Just make sure they are going to use jambs that have not been prepped
for threshold.
Local door shop would probably be much more helpful than big box.

TheDoorGuy
www.thedoorguy.com
TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
I have a home built in 1951 with a walkout basement. I've just finished framing and insulating the block walls in the basement, which of course has added several inches to the wall thickness. The door leading to the garage needs to be moved back flush with the interior side of the wall, and I'm trying to decide the best way to do this. The door is original, a heavy wooden raised-panel door with a half-window that is single pane. There are jambs nailed into the ends of the adjoining block walls.

At best, the wood door with glass has an R- value of 0.5 to 1, and feels pretty cold in the winter. I was considering replacing it with an insulated door (the glass is also a modern code violation, but that's not worrying me at this point).

If I keep the door, I need to replace the jambs with those of proper width, and rehang the door, though I've never done that before and have heard it can be a chore. A pre-hung door would solve that problem, though that would add a wooden threshold that currently isn't there. I've got a lot of heavy woodworking equipment in the basement and its nice to be able to roll it in/out of the garage as I do at present (the basement and garage slabs are flush).

Does it make sense to replace the door with an insulated door?

If I went with a pre-hung door, would it make sense to cut away the threshold after installation, or would that weaken the frame in some way?

Thanks.
If this door is shared with the garage, you'll more than likely need a fire-rated door, or at least "should" have one. The jambs are part of the fire rating as well, so you'd need to buy a pre-hung if that was the case.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
Stair builder

Do you like to door? It's been there for 60 years so it must be working well. You could replace the glass with insulated glass. Making your own door jambs isn't that hard to do, here is a link to a vid on how to make you own- http://garykatz.blip.tv/file/3355271/

Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (12-07-2010)