Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:39 AM   #1

Share |

New construction porch question

I started framing a new home this week. I'm not new to this trade, but I have missed the field experience needed for framing the porches. I understand supporting the front porch header, my question is how do the side headers (beams) attach to the house framing? My corner studs for the house consists of two 2 X 4 X 10 pre-cut studs with blocking in between. Do I cut out the outside stud of the house corner to accept one 2 by header and then sister the second 2 by to that? Do I install the beams on top of the double plate and have a higher porch ceiling? What would you do? The home will have a gable roof and the porch will have a shed roof and extends the whole width of the home if this helps. Opinions would be appreciated.

bayoudonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
renovations

I'm having a hard time visualising what you are trying to do, can you draw it out? How far does it span? What are side headers?

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudonnie View Post
I started framing a new home this week. I'm not new to this trade, but I have missed the field experience needed for framing the porches. I understand supporting the front porch header, my question is how do the side headers (beams) attach to the house framing? My corner studs for the house consists of two 2 X 4 X 10 pre-cut studs with blocking in between. Do I cut out the outside stud of the house corner to accept one 2 by header and then sister the second 2 by to that? Do I install the beams on top of the double plate and have a higher porch ceiling? What would you do? The home will have a gable roof and the porch will have a shed roof and extends the whole width of the home if this helps. Opinions would be appreciated.
I always make solid corners. I notch out the top of the side header 3-1/2" deep and 3" down. That gets me around the top plate and keeps the top of the header flush to the top plates. Some houses are different.

I just cut the top of the first two corner studs out so that the side header sits on top of them.

I know you siad that your using blocking in between. I would just use a solid stud instead.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #4

Thanks Joe, Will only take a few minutes to replace my corners. I like your idea of solid corners. It's a lot easier than cutting blocks, they way I learned 25 yrs ago.
bayoudonnie is offline   Reply With Quote