Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #1

Share |
New builder

I just decided over the weekend that I wanted to do woodworking. I have always desired it but never actually pursued it. I went out and purchased a circular saw, jigsaw, drill and staple gun (plan on doing upholstery). But I also ended up purchasing a MONSTER mirror. It is frameless, 99" x 47" and I have no clue what to do with it.

I am desperately looking for a simple, straightforward way to either glue it to the wall and then frame it OR build a frame for the mirror first and then mount it. I'm going to have it set up vertically so it will be 99"h and 47" wide. Any help is greatly appreciated!

momofour09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Not a Noob or Boob

New builder

Way to jump in the pool.

Not having a lot of tools (such as a table saw and router), it would be difficult to explain how to build the frame for the mirror. Instead, go with adhering it to the wall and attaching the frame to the wall.

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #3

New builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1975 View Post
Way to jump in the pool.

Not having a lot of tools (such as a table saw and router), it would be difficult to explain how to build the frame for the mirror. Instead, go with adhering it to the wall and attaching the frame to the wall.
Is there anything special to use? Will liquid nails for mirrors work or is it not strong enough? I'll be getting the router soon, I only have a hand saw right now.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Not a Noob or Boob

New builder

They make a mirror mastic that works well. I would still use a mechanical support, so the frame should rest on the bottom of the mirror and attach to structure (studs).
Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

New builder

Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #6

New builder

As noted you should use mirror mastic and provide some sort of structural support along the bottom which will support the mirror's weight on it's own. The support at bottom keeps the mirror up, the mastic keeps it against the wall. Without the support the mirror will eventually shear off the wall.

If it were my project I would design my frame and then affix the bottom rail of it to the wall, finding the studs and making sure the frame was screw directly into them with at least 1.5" of screw into the studs. I would then glue the mirror to the wall and build out the remainder of the frame around it.

A router would be very useful for this project if you want to make your own frame as you could find a moulding profile you like and then rabbet out a channel for the mirror edge to slot into so the frame sits flush against the wall.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

New builder

Ok, sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but why did you buy a mirror without knowing what you were going to do with it? Am I missing something?

As for hanging/mounting the mirror, couldnt you simply buy some mirror mounting brackets (see below link), screw them into studs (bottom and top), and then decide about building a frame when youre ready.

http://www.google.com/products?q=mir...ng+clips&hl=en
Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

New builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscbldr View Post
Ok, sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but why did you buy a mirror without knowing what you were going to do with it? Am I missing something?

As for hanging/mounting the mirror, couldnt you simply buy some mirror mounting brackets (see below link), screw them into studs (bottom and top), and then decide about building a frame when youre ready.

http://www.google.com/products?q=mir...ng+clips&hl=en
I had plans for it, I was going to use it as a leaning floor mirror. But now that I have it, I want to make sure it's secured and not just there. I was just wondering the best way to attach it to the wall since I want it to lie flat on the wall, not to hang like a picture.

Besides, I've been looking at these mirrors and for the size I have they can run you easily $700 to well over $1000. I purchased two mirrors (99"x47" and one 38"x34") for $65 so I wasn't going to pass that up because my ideas for hanging weren't fully fleshed out.

Tags
building, frame, mirror