New Base With Drawers Under Laundry Units - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

New base with drawers under laundry units

Hi,
We are set on getting a new laundry units, side by side type, and my wife would like to purchase the matching pedestals to store some detergents and other stuff. See link here:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_334997-149-W...%2B&facetInfo=
but the price is ridiculously high, plus you can not just buy one, you have to buy 2 of them, for washer and dryer. That's over $520 with tax!!!!!
I told her that I can build something better, cabinet like, an much cheaper.
I want to make sure the thing does not fall apart on me in a few weeks. Here's what I'm thinking of using. Please give me some comments and recommendation:
1. I will make a box frame out of 2x4, with glue and screws. I would use 2x6, but I want to make some room for drawers. I could double up on 2x4 if needed. The high should be around 18-20".
2. I will attach the box to the back wall and right side wall for stability.
3. I will finish all with 3/4 plywood.
(see pic with sketch of 2x4 layout and placement for drawers)
I hoping this will be enough since the units are pretty heavy, plus when clothes and water are added and it will start to vibrate during spin cycle.
Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
New base with drawers under laundry units-laundry-box.jpg  

Advertisement

robercik72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Building it out of 2x4's and plywood will likely look like 2x4's and plywood. Doesn't sound like a structurally bad option, but from the wife's persepective, take time to make it aesthetically and functionally as nice as the prefabbed pedestals.

The price savings you're thinking of are the "frame", but the real costs will likely be incurred with the hardware. drawer slides and such can be pricey depending on the options you choose. I've found that sometimes, when it comes to cabinetry, you don't end up saving a ton of money doing it DIY. because to get the "look and feel" of the $550 bases, you have to spend a fair amount of $ and a lot of time. So, the real questions boils down to: How much is your time worth? Cause I'm thinking materials (for 3 drawer unit with hardware) will likely run you around $250 on the lower end...

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
Building it out of 2x4's and plywood will likely look like 2x4's and plywood. Doesn't sound like a structurally bad option, but from the wife's persepective, take time to make it aesthetically and functionally as nice as the prefabbed pedestals.
Thank you. I will finish this very nicely with quality plywood, nice trim and very good paint. That I can do plus I lover doing this type of work. I just was not sure about the structure integrity to support the 2 units.
I'm not concern with my time, $$$ savings would be nice, but I like the idea of doing it myself and telling my wife: "Look what I did, isn't it nice?"
robercik72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robercik72 For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (12-20-2011)

Tags
laundry