Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

need window help...

Hello, I need 6 new windows in a 15 year old house. many have started to get hazy or condensation in them.

Baby on the way and I know you typically get what you pay for but money is really tight. I also know the installation is key, a very expensive high quality window poorly installed is probably no better if not worse then a mid grade window installed properly.

I had WW and a big box come out and measure and give me estimates.

WW was 2566.00 for 6 - "4000" series windows
HD was 3414.00 for 6 - "6100" series windows

I almost had a company call Castle Windows come out to give estimate but the reviews on line scared me to death. I know all companies will have some install goes a little off but they seemed to have a lot.

I realized i do not even know enough to make sure the installer does the job right if i watch the install. i have heard horror stories of windows only being held in by caulk? no screws or nails etc.. scares me.

Should replacement windows be installed from side house or outside? Vinyl siding house. i just never did or even helped with windows so could some one give me a primer.

a little guidance or help would be appreciated.

thanks
rich

rich19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

need window help...

Post a picture of what you have now.
Any reason your not installing them yourself? Beside never had done it before?
Replacement windows are installed from the inside most often.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

need window help...

they say Alenco on the locks.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

need window help...

If the only issue if there fogging up between the panes and the companys still in business you should be able to just replace the sashes.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

need window help...

yep that is the case with 4 or them, one the upper glass has slide down a little and the lock crack the inner pane.

also the new windows are single hung... the double hung would be nice and i thought new windows would be more efficient? low e gas? where these were just a vacuum when they were still air tight?

i guess i will do some searching and see if Alenco is around... they are orginal from when house was built...so builder grade if that means much...
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

need window help...

you can replace just the glass.
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

need window help...

Don't these type of double pane windows have either no air as in a vacuum or some have a gas in between?

if just the glass got replaced how is that done??

nothing will ever make these more efficient or double hung... so i dont know if that the way to go. i will have to get cost to do that