Need Suggestions For How To Build Recessed Shelving - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need suggestions for how to build recessed shelving

Previous owners remodeled out upstairs bathroom and made it fairly nice, but their restructuring of the bathroom framing left an odd shaped closet in the master bedroom. What I'd like to do is to build 2-4 recessed shelves for the bathroom into the closet area.

I am not an interior designer and an average DIY'er, below average when it comes to the finishing. What I was thinking of doing was three shelves, the lowest to be level at the base with the countertop (standard height) and 1 foot high, the next starting 4" above that and be 1 foot high, and then again for the last (total height from top to bottom of 3' 8"). The ceilings are eight feet so I am wondering if that would be too much.

Also I can go up to a depth of 15" but I don't want so deep that it doesn't look good.

As far as how they'd actually look I was thinking of the top, sides and back component be drywalled and painted the same colour as the bathroom (a subtle yellow) and the bottom being a dark stained wood which protrudes about 1" out with a nice routered edge.

Questions:

1. Am I fooling myself into thinking this will look decent?
2. How wide should they be? (can be up to 22" due to existing framing on the inside of the closet)
3. Can anyone point me out to a good website showing how to construct this sort of thing? All I've been able to find is how to put shelving into the bay of a wall, as opposed to through the wall as I'd like to do.
4. Any suggestions on what would look substantially better (with the same relatively low cost)?

Advertisement

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote