Need Some Help With Fireplace Base And Surround - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need some help with Fireplace base and surround

Need some help guys, We are having new carpet layed down next week and need to come up with a fix for the Fireplace before then. As you can see in the pics it is a blue marble that need's to go. The base seems to be attached to some cement board were it meets with the carpet. What would be a good way to get that out? And what would be a good idea to lay back down there before they lay the crapet? I can not go any higher as the fireplace controls are all ready hard to get at with the current height of the base. How can I remove the surround marble pieces also and what would be good to replace them with? Sorry for all the question but I am new with this. My wife also hates the gold on the current fireplace is there anyway I can remove or replace with something more appealing? Thank you guys for all your help I do appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help with Fireplace base and surround-fireplace-pics-008.jpg   Need some help with Fireplace base and surround-fireplace-pics-009.jpg  

Advertisement

bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

You have a steel fire box there----The slabs on the face are probably glued with mastic,firmset or liquid nails.

A couple of thin scrapers--putty knives or painters tools wedged between the steel face and the stone should pop them loose.

The base stone--same thing--along with some wood shims--should be able to get it out in one piece if you are careful and use plenty of shims.--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks man, I will get to it tonight. If it was your house what would you put back down as the slab on the floor? Do you think travertine or tile would work? I was thinking about putting stone veneer on the surround.
bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

What goes in is so much a mater of personal taste--I think you will need to see what's available.

You may wish to add your new durrock and maybe a wood "picture frame" before the carpet guys show up.

You can't leave the space open and hope they install the carpet square. You have to give them something to carpet against--Even if it is temporary.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Travertine will work I'm sure. Just be aware that natural stone is more delicate under-foot if it isn't set properly. If the floor is bouncy or the base is weak or flexes in any way, travertine will crack when stepped on. My suggestion is to remove the tile and backerboard, then replace the backerboard with a new piece. Your backerboard should be laid in a notched bed of thinset, then screwed down while the thinset's wet. Use thinset to lay your tile and be sure to get coverage on the entire tile.

Pry bars, chisels and a putty knife should do a fairly good job of getting the old stuff out.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote