Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

Need some help with casing doorway openings

Hi all,

I'm working on adding some upgrade trim to our dining room. I'm stuck with what to do on the doorways though. I would like to do some nice casing but am not sure what to do at the bottoms of the doorways. As you can see from the pictures below the builder put base and quarter round all the way around the openings. It will look goofy if I put the casing above that base so I was thinking of doing plinth blocks. But I'm still not sure what to do about the inside portion of the openings. There is about a 1/2" gap from the flooring to the walls that are covered with the base and quarter round. I've looked all over HD and Lowes molding and millwork depts looking for some inspiration and have come up empty. So, any ideas or links to examples?

Thanks so much!

Jason

stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Strad,
you need to install wooden jambs around the opening width and then install casing on each side. You can use 3/4" thick stock and rip it to match the width of each opening. You can also buy ready made jamb sets if your walls are standard widths.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #3

You can get the jamb set in 2 differant widths.
There going to be already cut to width, rounded edges, and be clear pine.
That 1/4 round and the base would have to be removed any war athe bottom of the wall.
The base on the side of the wall will need to be cut back to fit the casing.
Best way to cut it is with an ossilating saw so they do not need to be removed.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...as&Form=IQFRDR
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #4

The jambs would have to be 6 3/4" wide to span the opening. Does lowes or HD stock this size?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

There going to come 6-9/16 wide.
The reason yours may be wider is the outside metal edge sticks out further.
The outside corner really should be removed anyway.
Just take a utility knife to score the top area so you do not take off some of the ceiling paint when removing it.
Then take a hammer and just tap along the outside of the corner the old joist compound will just fall off so you can get to the nails or screws holding it on.

That whole are will be covered up with the jamb and casing so in most cases there will be no real wall damage if it's done right.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #6

, I ended up just getting a few clear pine boards. I'll rip them to size and make the jamb.

HD and Lowes didn't have the height I needed in the premade jambs.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #7

Make sure to round over the outside edges for a finished look.

Got a table saw to rip them?

When your install the casing leave yourself a 3/16 exposure on the outside edge.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Make sure to round over the outside edges for a finished look.

Got a table saw to rip them?

When your install the casing leave yourself a 3/16 exposure on the outside edge.
Yup, I've got a table saw. Do you recommend rounding them with a router?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #9

I would rip it slightly wider then you need because it's going to have to be sanded, I'd use my trim router and a small round over bit then hand sand it.
I'd also sand the outside face of all those trimboards, almost always they have planner lines on them that will show when painted.
It's best to have the board slightly wider then to have it to narrow for less seams showing.
Sometimes I'll mark the 3/66 exposure on the side of the board and add a slight angle to the back edge. That way the casing will lay flatter on the wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
stradt03 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Roofmaster

The best tool you can use to make a plumb cut on the existing base molding is a muti-tool. I have a Bosch, and love it. Put in the top and jamb liners, shimmed level and plumb. Then mark your base Plumb cuts with a piece of casing with a 3/16" reveal. Plunge cut the bottom with the 1.5 inch straight blade, then finish the top with the half moon blade. These tools are sweet for this type of stuff. You neeeeeeeeeeeeed it. You also need the Bosch 4.5 inch oscillating sander. I dont hand sand nuthin, not even drywall, since I got that. Yeah, I have a lot of blue tools.

Last edited by jagans; 03-29-2013 at 10:08 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans
The best tool you can use to make a plumb cut on the existing base molding is a muti-tool. I have a Bosch, and love it. Put in the top and jamb liners, shimmed level and plumb. Then mark your base Plumb cuts with a piece of casing with a 3/16" reveal. Plunge cut the bottom with the 1.5 inch straight blade, then finish the top with the half moon blade. These tools are sweet for this type of stuff. You neeeeeeeeeeeeed it. You also need the Bosch 4.5 inch oscillating sander. I dont hand sand nuthin, not even drywall, since I got that. Yeah, I have a lot of blue tools.

Thanks for the advice! I actually have had a multi tool for a couple years. I just used it to notch the baseboards for the built ins I made for our closets.