Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need some advice!?

I want to become a carpenter I don't know where to start. Should i either find an apprenticeship and start from there or join this workshop i have found and get training in a joiners workshop.

The course offers me:

Woodworking Courses
Furniture Classes
Carpentry Courses
Cabinet Making Classes
Furniture Training Schools
Furniture Making Training

What do you people think? How did you guys start off?

The link below will take you to the course which gives more details.

http://www.williamsandcleal.co.uk/in...=core-syllabus

j5-payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Need some advice!?

If you want to make furniture or cabinetry for a living, that place looks like it might be a good fit. I would definately research their placement statistics...You want to make sure you're employable in the industry upon graduation.

If you're interested in that career path, I'd recommend going to the tab at the top of the page that says woodworking, and going to that website. There are a lot of professional woodworkers there.

Are you interested in carpentry in a construction sense? Specifically rough (framing) carpentry or trim carpentry? If so, an apprenticeship is really the best way to start unless there are vocational schools in your area with good placement programs.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,646

Need some advice!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5-payne View Post
I want to become a carpenter I don't know where to start. Should i either find an apprenticeship and start from there or join this workshop i have found and get training in a joiners workshop.

The course offers me:

Woodworking Courses
Furniture Classes
Carpentry Courses
Cabinet Making Classes
Furniture Training Schools
Furniture Making Training

What do you people think? How did you guys start off?

The link below will take you to the course which gives more details.

http://www.williamsandcleal.co.uk/in...=core-syllabus

I started out back in 1964 in construction (on the job training) and enjoyed my career. I owned my own company for 37 of those years. Being a carpenter is rewarding but it also has its downside.

Your job will depend on several factors, especially the economy, as building is usually the first to be affected. The weather is also a factor, if it rains or snows, you are at home unless you are a trim carpenter. I am not trying to sound negative, but construction is a tough business and is usually all the work you can handle or none at all. At times you will be out of work for short periods and at others for long periods.

My best advice would be to go into trim carpentry as you can make a good living in that specific area. Framing is rough and doesn't pay as well as trim and is affected by the weather more than trim work. Furniture building is a tough market to break into but if you can, it too is very rewarding. Cabinet building is a good area but it is very competitive, but with time and contacts you can make a living at it.

From my experiences I would recommend trim work and stair building as it is better pay than most other construction trades and nowhere as tough and you will be in more demand, especially when you develop your expertise.

One other area that I can think of is antique home restoration, which is a specialized field but can be very dirty work. However, the pay is very good. This is a challenging field as there are many things that will have to be hand made such as trim and stair parts because many of the things in the older homes cannot be bought at a store. Also the construction of the older homes was completely different from today's homes.

On the job training would be a great way to break into the field and you would know if that is what you wanted to do for a career, without up front money. If you see you will like this profession, you can take some courses which will help you a lot and it will mean more to you.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote