Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #1

Share |

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

I realize that this may not seem like a carpentry question, but I thought this would be the best place to post this question.

I am looking for suggestions for a method for creating a straight slit along the entire length of a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe up to 10' in length.

I have considered using my table saw, or my router (with a jig). Everything that I have considered leaves me with concerns about how to keep the slit (slot) in a straight line or how to hold the pipe while the slot is being cut.

I would like to hear any and all suggestions.

By the way, I am new to this forum but I have had many years of experience in carpentry and construction.

Byron Polk (Mr B)

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Git

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

I would think if you used your table saw, the blade would keep the slot straight and keep the pvc from rotating?

Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

You could build a jig to hold it in (like a long v-shaped cradle); you could screw the ends down to keep it from rotating or clamp it down at the ends and run a circular saw down it to cut the slit.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #4

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

either method mentioned above should work fine. I would use the table saw with two guides.

Mr. B I give???? what are you going to do with the two halves?????
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #5

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

Router out a 3/4"x 3/4" slot down the length of a straight 10' 2x4. Place the pipe in it and tack it in place with some hot melt glue. Rip it on a table saw. Scrape off the hot glue.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #6

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

jogr has it... should be fool proof and not risk a twist..

Mr. B
if you are trying to make 1/4" pipe i don't think this will work...

so what are you going to do with the two halves?

Last edited by Big Bob; 08-19-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add the t in two & the u in you
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Electrician

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post

so what are you going to do with the two halves?

Everyone knows its easier to put the pipe around the wire than pull the wire through the pipe...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #8

Need to slit 1/2" PVC

Well, first let me thank each of you who have responded to my question. I really do appreciate the responses.

Git, I have tried something simular to this sometime in the past and believe it or not, the pipe can actully slowly rotate and the blade will just cut right on.

I think that jogr may have come up with something. The idea of the groove and hot glue is really sounding like a good idea.

As for what I am going to do: Actually I do not plan to have 2 halves. I will only have a single piece with only one slit (slot if you will). The slit will need to be about 5/16" wide and I really do want it to remain straight. Now for the "what to use it for": I do one of those christmas light displays that is sencronized to music. One of the things that has been an issue for several of us who do these kinds of displays is that we want to place lights along the ridges of the roof on our house. This sounds simple enough when you first start to think about doing it. However, when you actually start to do the job (like many other things) it becomes more difficult. We want to start using the new LED type lights which are considerably smaller than the C9 or C7 bulbs which have been around for years. These bulbs are only 4" on center along the electric chord. Therefore you do not want to try to hold each individual bulb in place, but still want these lights to be very straight and in line.

I plan to cut the slit in the PVC pipe, then feed each bulb into the slit. In my case, I also am planning to have two different color strings running along the same ridge. I will then use a zip-tie to secure the electric chord down in the bottom of the pipe (drill a hole on each side close to the bottom of the pipe and run the zip-tie through and around the bottom of the pipe). The bulbs will then be protruding up above the pipe through the slit. I will also place a couple of zip-ties, one on either side of the two bulbs, to hold them in the proper placement.

I hope this provides a little insite to my project.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mr B

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote