DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need Sheetrock repair advice

10K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Giterdone 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm seeking some advice regarding waterdamaged sheetrock. Our laundry room sprang a significant leak, that unfortunately, took a long time to get resolved. We now have a new roof over the entire area and the leaking has stopped. I have a damaged portion of the ceiling and wall to replace.
The wall is actually at the junction of 2 walls, with doors in each. The door to the living room is through one wall, with about 4" to the angle of the other wall. Almost flush to the living room wall is the jamb of a closet wall, set approx. 3" out from the corner. So, I have a corner that is about 4" on each side that has suffered water damage to the point that the sheet rock's top layers are degrading. To make it worse, the previous owner wallpapered this area and installed the door jambs OVER the wallpaper.:eek:
I have run into a nightmare trying to strip this section. The paper won't come off, the inner surface is rough and uneven now, and I can't work easily in this space.
So...what can I do? I have to replace a 3' x 3' section of ceiling that bowed due to water. Should I attempt to replace that myself? (some carpentry skills, not with sheetrock though) Can I replace just the damaged area or does the whole ceiling need to come down? Or should I just call for professional help? I think the sheetrock around the 2 doors needs to go too, but I am leery of trying that myself. Is there anything out there like a plastic corner piece that can be inserted over it all and taped/mudded in? I'm going to paint all of this later.
How would you fix the ceiling?
Is this kind of job expensive when done by a pro?
Any advice is appreciated!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
So...what can I do? I have to replace a 3' x 3' section of ceiling that bowed due to water. Should I attempt to replace that myself? (some carpentry skills, not with sheetrock though)
Can I replace just the damaged area or does the whole ceiling need to come down? Or should I just call for professional help?
Get a pencil and draw a perfect ....square of the actual area that needs to be replaced. Use a straight edge to make your outline nice and straight.
Make sure that it is a perfect square since it will be easier to replace. Take a utility knife and score the line. Here's an insdie 'tip': grip the knife with your 3 lower fingers while using your thumb and index finger extended like a "Y" shape. Use that thumb on one side and your index finger on the other side like 'out-riggers' to keep the knife balanced as you cut your line nice and straight.
Do a light score to 'set' the straight line, once this is done, your knife blade will follow the score. Then, continue cutting that line with additional scores using more pressure, until you are almost through the drywall. Use a hammer to 'bust' up through the 'cut out' area. Then use your utility knife to clean the edges of the 'cut' sheetrock up - cleanly.
Next: Use strapping - Measure and cut strapping that is slightly longer than the new square hole that you have made. Insert under the old (Freshly cut) sheetrock edges. Use a screw gun and 1 1/4" drywall screws and attach the strapping to the old sheetrock - leaving 1/2 the width of the strapping exposed in the cut out area. You can also do the same in the inside area (for something to attach the new sheetrock patch to -example : 16 inches on center)
You will use that area of the strapping to attach your new sheetrock square to.

Measure and cut a new piece of sheetrock. Screw it into the new strapping you installed. Make sure that you screw off the edges of the 'old drywall ceiling' areas as well. Then, tape, coat, sand...and blend the patch in. Key to properly 'blending' it in.... is using 'wide coats' of thin compound... If you are a 'newbie' at this; Apply several THIN layers of compound and sand between each coat. Be sure that each layer of compound is completely dry before sanding and applying the next coat.

I think the sheetrock around the 2 doors needs to go too, but I am leery of trying that myself. Is there anything out there like a plastic corner piece that can be inserted over it all and taped/mudded in? I'm going to paint all of this later.
I am not sure that I understand what you are saying here.
I will try anyway: Look into a drywall corner material called "NO- COAT" for corners....
I really don't know if this is what you need. If you could provide actual Pictures of what you are writing about, this would provide some definite solutions....

How would you fix the ceiling?
Is this kind of job expensive when done by a pro?
Any advice is appreciated!
See the first answer I provided.

This is really dependant on what you desire for a 'finished' result. Ceilings are the most difficult things to get right since they are the most 'visible'. On the other hand, If you want this area to look 'flawless', then hire a pro.

If you just want to 'patch' it in, follow the instructions I listed...

#6 ·
The key to performing the repair is getting ALL the Wallpaper off, otherwise, any drywall repairs will not stick to the old sheetrock surfaces and will bubble and seperate. However....

What we would do is:

1.) Remove Door casings and set aside for re-installation after repairs.

2.) Remove all badly damaged sheet rock and install new sheet rock, tape, sand and paint. Re-install door casing.

3.) Use 'stain-kill primer' over areas connected to the badly damaged wall and ceiling areas prior to repainting. Water damage spots will 'bleed' thru, if not stain killed.

This is actually not a big job, based on the picture and assuming that the damage is just the area we see in the picture.

I think this is a good little project for you to test your DIY skills out on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.