Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #1

Share |

Need Kitchen design help...

Hi guys, I really need your inputs on this. I have a small kitchen, and on one wall which is 109 inches long. I will have a corner cabinet which will be 36inc, , 30 inc stove, 33 inch refrigerator, and will leave me with a 10 inc cabinet next to the stove. The last thing on the right side of the wall is the refrigerator, next to that I have a 20 inc space, which is to allow the door under the stairs to open for storage. The door is on the back side of the stairs. Now my question is should I relocate the entrance for under the stairs storage to the side of the stairs to gain 20 inc in cabinets in the kitchen? The only thing the door will not be an 18 by 80 door, it would have to be a special order door, and the height would have to be about 5ft tall, since its on the side of the stairs. I like the full wall on the side, but the cabinets will be limited if I do not change it. Thanks for all inputs, need to make a decision that I will not regret later on

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #2

Hers are some photos of what I am talking about, it should help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need Kitchen design help...-stairs.jpg   Need Kitchen design help...-closet.jpg  

Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

HH,

My 2 cents: I'd move the door without a 2nd thought. You need that space next to your stove for your kitchen functioning. (Then you could move your fridge into the corner and gain more counter and cabinet space)

We've fabricated our own funky shaped doors on projects. Here's a pic. where we used MDf board and piano hinges. The door was to be painted to match the color of other doors.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #4

Thanks Atlantic West, I definately agree with you 100 percent. The only thing is I wouldn't have the skills to build a door in that angle, and also I would then want to use it as a coat closet, so I will need to get a custom door built. It would have to be around 5ft tall, and no wider than 18 inc wide. Using a door in a slant will then limit the space inside the under the stair closet, what you think? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
......Using a door in a slant will then limit the space inside the under the stair closet, what you think? Thanks!
If the closet is in the kitchen, isn't it essentially a "pantry"?

A pantry can be any kind of space with shelves, placed anywhere adjacent to a kitchen.

You could do a double-door set up like in the pic. I posted = More access to more space
Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #6

As a home chef, you can never have enough room in the kitchen. I would relocate those doors and install the fridge under the stairs. This would open up the kitchen and give you more counter space. Maybe install a dishwasher where the fridge was.

For the doors, pick up a set of hollow double doors, cut them to height, and install blocking between the panels. If you paint them the same color as the room, and use small hardware, they will blend right into the wall.

Last edited by Jeekinz; 06-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #7

How much can one cut off from hollow core doors? Standard size would be 80inc I beleive, and I will need to cut them down to 60inc in height.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #8

You can cut them as short as you want, all you have to do is install a piece of wood blocking inside where you cut. Think of a hollow core door as a wooden frame with a piece of plywood for the front and back. Let's say you removed length from the bottom, the frame would now be an upside down "U" shape. If memory serves me correctly, 5/4 stock will fit between the front and back panels. (someone else may have the exact measurement). Just glue up a piece to fit, slide it in and throw in a couple finish nails on the jamb sides to hold it in place.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #9

Try this. http://books.google.com/books?id=W3H...TV7o#PPA229,M1

They re-use the pice cut from the bottom.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #10

Thanks! I am sure I can get an 18inc wide hollow core door at HCheapo!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #11

What do you think about the fridge idea?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
How much can one cut off from hollow core doors? Standard size would be 80inc I beleive, and I will need to cut them down to 60inc in height.
On cutting down those doors. The best method is to split the cuts. Take equal amounts off the top and bottom of the door panels - if you are able to. If it won't align right, then take some of the top and more off the bottom of the door. If you take all the height off the bottom, the 6-panel doors will not look symmetrical at all. The doors will not look right.

The best method for installing a filler block on the bottom and tops of the door panels is to: Break out your table saw. Take the top and the bottom sections that you cut off the door. Measure and set your blade to just take off the outside material of the textured door surface. Do that on each side. Then snap the ends off, and you will be left with the original filler block with the holes already drilled and where they are supposed to be for the pivots and plunger guide.

Then get wood glue and glue your filler block up on all sides. Use a brad gun with 1/2" to 3/4" nails and nail in through the sides of the door panel into the filler block. Later, fill those nail marks with nail putty.
Last, take a palm sander with 120 grit paper and slightly smooth out the cut edge of the door panel to create a smooth bevel.

Finally, paint it all up and no one will ever be able to tell the diffference. (As long as you are able to cut the door in a way that the 6-panel set up still looks right)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-11-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #13

Thanks, boy that makes alot of sense! What do I do with the hinge side on the door? Do I wood fill it, since the hinges will not align once the top and bottom of the door gets cut. On the prehung frame, that should be at leat 1 inc longer than the door? Also, can a jig saw be use to cut the door ? When I redo the hinges, what size of gap should I leave on the top? I think the 18 inc door might work on the side. As for the fridge under the stairs, I need all the space under the stairs for storage, I also have a 42inc base cabinet going opposite of the kitchen, on a small wall. Thanks guys
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #14

Removing that much material from a 6 panel door will make it look awkward. The stiles would be wider than the top and bottom rail. Use flat doors and very plain trim, if any, so the doors don't pop out when you look at the wall.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #15

Removed the door, and moved it to the side. Thanks so much guys for all your inputs. I am glad I did it, I gained so much space, and would have regret if I had not done it!!