DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help with wire shelving braces

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  WayneK 
#1 ·
Hello,

I had a previous thread on installing wire shelving and appreciate the help I received. The first closet shelving is complete and I'm on to the second.

I'm using Rubbermaid 12" wire shelving (wardrobe). I'm installing all the braces on studs. To do this, I remove the screw that comes with the brace anchor, cut the wings off the anchor, and use the remaining plastic sleeve with a sheet rock screw.

Unfortunately, on the latest shelf, I forgot to use the plastic sleeve. I just put the sheet rock screw through the bracing slot and into the stud. I'm not sure what to do now. How important is that sleeve? It would be easy to back the screw out and add the sleeve but then I'd be drilling back into a pre-drilled hole in the stud. Obviously, I'd like to leave it the way it is.

Any advice on how to proceed?
Thanks, Wayne

#3 ·
Thanks, Joed. I wasn't worried about the grip. I was wondering if the sleeve was needed to protect the screw. I assumed that was the purpose of the sleeve: to keep the edge of the bracing slot from cutting into the side of the screw as force is applied downwards on the brace. Or maybe it's just cosmetic to fill up the slot hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.