Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need Help with Wainscoating Top Cap (chair rail)

I need a cap for the Georgia Pacific 4x8 beadboard paneling I'm installing. The paneling is .322 thick and I need a piece of trim with a rabbet cut into it to fit on top of the paneling. They don't sell anything at our local mill. I did find a coupld pieces of MDF at Lowes, but I'm concerned I won't be able to cope that material cleanly. The only real wood trim I found at Lowes was a thin profile, 8 foot long "panel cap" like this:

but I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions. This is going in a small room so I don't want anything to bold or fancy, but I was thinking I might like something a little wider then the above picture, maybe something like this:

or this

I also found a build up of different moldings that make a nice profile but I'm not sure I can put it together to look as nice as the other two above. Additionally, I'm not sure what materials and sizes to use to make it, and would I preassemble this or put it up on the wall piece by piece?

Any advise on what and where to buy, or how to make my own top cap?

Thanks!!

RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
DIY staff

You didn't mention your location---There must be a millwork place nearby--The prices you listed are kind of high.

I usually do a three piece trim similar to the last picture----If you do that --install the pieces separately.

Larger face piece--then the top- last, the cove.

Miters should be fine if coping is a new skill for you.--If you do cope, a Dremmel tool with a sanding drum will clean up the coping saw work.---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Mike, thanks for the reply.

Those prices are meaningless. They're just from the website where I found a picture of the molding profiles.

I have done a little coping and I TOTALLY AGREE on the dremel trick (it make coping so much easier that I'm actually surprised everyone doesn't do it that way)

I might do that three piece build-up like you. Can you give me some details? (what wood do you use and do you use a router to get the round over on the top and the decorative profile to the bottom?) Are there any tips or tricks to doing this e.g. backcut the top a couple degrees or scribe the top?

Thanks Again!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
DIY staff

Will this be painted or stained?

You should be able to find a combination of trims that will work all ready made.

However, If you have the tools to make your own--why not?

For paint grade--poplar is a good choice--

In an ideal world--to make the trims your self you should have--a table saw--surface planer--

router with a table. and a sander.

I keep meaning to learn how to post pictures--I have a simple but effective home made router table
I would like to show every one how to make.-

Any more questions will have to be answered by someone else---I've got to get up early tomorrow--

---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #5

Thanks Mike!

This will be painted. I'm a very new DIY'er, but I've built a decent collection of tools in a short period of time. I have a router/table, miter saw, table saw, belt sander, and palm sander. Although, I don't have the planer.

I'm assuming I could use some 1x3 and put a bullnose profile on it with the router. Then use some cove molding under that, but what do you use for the back? Is that another piece of 1x3 with a rabbet and some type of routed profile on the front? How do you do it?

By the way.... I think the easiest way to post pics to the forum is to open a free account with photobucket.com, upload pics from your computer to your free private photobucket account, then just add the "IMG" links in your posts (done it this way for years with no problem).

Thanks Again!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #6

"make it yourself, haha"

Yeah, I'm thinking about trying it... I'm actually reading over at 'routerforum' but not finding much. I have an assortment of bits (just don't know how to use them yet). I'll keep reading.