Need Help Understanding What To Do. Oak Baseboards - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help understanding what to do. oak baseboards

I have started a project of putting in oak baseboard trim and and am having trouble with a few basic things. How to or maybe just what is better or easier. Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

1. Do you cope or angle cut. corner angles not square
2. rounded corner inside corners. again best way to get this done. 2 pc or more? cope? angle?
3. how to trim big curve on wall. I tried steaming a pc but cant get right arc.
4. where do you cope and where do you angle cut? is there a rule of thumb for these things.
Attached Thumbnails
need help understanding what to do. oak baseboards-cope-not-cope.jpg  

Advertisement

Storm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

I usually cope inside corners and miter outside corners with stain grade trim. Be sure to glue your outside miters or they will separate. For a slight curve on a wall you can make relief cuts every 1/4 or 1/2 inch. The more cuts the nicer it will look. If you have a trim saw with a small blade it will make a better cut than a 7 1/4 blade because you can cut deep and still get close to the top of the trim without cutting through the top. Set the blade deep enough to cut about 3/4 the way through the trim. Make a quick "jig" by nailing a piece of trim face down close enough to the wall to that you just cut to the top of the trim. With your tape check the distance from the wall along the entire length to be sure it is consistent before you start cutting.

Rege

Advertisement

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #3

2 inside round corners. Is it better to cut a small pc to fit in the curve angle cuts (like i did here) and best fit the angles to make it look good. I realized after cutting i should have been checking before cutting a bunch of stuff. I realized the saw i borrowed (small miter box saw) was bent. after checking my 90 cuts with a sqaure. I now have a compound powersaw to work with but still am not sure of how to do this stuff. Again thanks for any help. Man what a newbie.this should be pointing at me.
Attached Thumbnails
need help understanding what to do. oak baseboards-double-not-90-degree-corners.jpg   need help understanding what to do. oak baseboards-not-90degree-corner.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264

What you did doesn't look real bad and if you cut the miters a little better it should be acceptable. If you really want to make it right, divide it into maybe 4 or six joints instead of the two you have. Glue it up, let it dry or cure completely and sand it to the correct curve front and back. It's a lot of work and might not be worth it.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

thanks for your help. I may have to think about that one. I tried coping one corner this moring but i am having trouble with the little piece at the top not covering when i cut it 45deg to get profile. any suggestions
Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

It is hard to tell from the photo how much space is behind the short length of trim, between it and the wall. If the space is nearly non-existant, then you have the right idea and just need better cuts of the trim pieces.

If you still have an 1/8 of an inch or more open space, then you may want to use plinth blocks and radius their backside to fit the wall. A rasp and sanding block will be the hand tools for radiusing. A bench mounted belt sander will make the job incredibly easy! You can also mitre the edges of the plinth blocks if you wish so the base trim will only need 90 degree cuts on the ends.

Plinth blocks are always taller than the adjoining base trim, and can have either plain tops or decorative tops - whatever works best/looks best with your molding choice.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #7

on those rounded inside corners you may want to take some scrap and test different degree angles. you may can get a better fit with right side at one angle and the left at another
jpcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Storm51--Get rid of you "stupid" sign. Really stupid people would not have come here asking for help. "What you did doesn't look real bad", (RegeSullivan), Rege can make that statement because you took time to post pictures, so many people on here don't. "MI-Roger" has a good idea also. Don't expect to be a "first time trim carpenter" and have your work look as good as someone who has done this for years. I know trim carpenters whose work is beautiful, they measure more than twice, look at the cut more than once, and when they do cut, it's right. Trimming in a room is an art, be patient, Good Luck, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote