Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need Help with Stucco Masonry

Gentlemen, I need help. On my personal home, I had a concrete contractor for my home, that also installed my synthetic stone, and stucco to foundation walls. The stone turned out ok on the home, but the stucco is peeling in "sheets" from the foundation walls, especially where the "water proof" application was above foundation. (in some places 3 - 4 feet) I am thinking of removing all the old stucco, attaching metal lath, then re-applying. What is the easiest and best way to apply the metal lath to the concrete walls, or is there a better or easier procedure?

mpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

use a hammer drill to drill the correct holes and use small Tapcon fasteners. Use a washer with the screw. Masonry cement will not stick to concrete if it was sealed or painted. They should know this. Hire the cheaper guy and you continue to learn how to fix everything yourself latter.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #3

Bob is right. Tapcons should work in your application. I would use a 1/4 x 1 1/4 hex washer head tapcon screw. The drill bit for this screw is a 3/16 x 3 1/2 masonry carbide tipped bit. One of the most important parts of your application is that you use a hammer drill to drill the holes for the tapcons. This is because the quality of the hole is critical when you go to drive the screw into the concrete. The hammer drill will make a much better hole and make it alot more likely that the tapcon will cut its threads into the concrete and obtain higher holding values.

Last edited by Bronx; 03-02-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote