Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Share |

Need help putting in baseboards

Hello.

My husband and I bought a house in the last stages of renovation. We have a room without baseboards, and there's anywhere from an inch, to two inch gap between the bottom of the sheetrock, and the flooring, (tile floor) This means there's a space at the bottom, and it has a depth of the sheetrock, before I can see the actual wood joist used to form the bottom of the interior of the wall. (Sorry I don't know all the actual terms)

So if I want to put in a baseboard, there's nothing there but sheetrock to put nails in, and of course that won't hold. Do I need to put a shim in between the baseboard, and the wood behind the sheetrock? If I don't put something in that space, it will mean a gap as the nail travels the space below the edge of the sheetrock and that doesn't sound right.

I've looked at Youtube films about doing baseboards..and in the film, the sheetrock goes all the way to the floor..so I'm wondering if the person who put in the sheetrock knew what they were doing, or they wouldn't have left what in someplaces is a huge gap. It looks like the builder almost eyeballed the length of the sheetrock instead of taking proper measurements. This house was on the market a long time, and after foreclosure, the bank hired someone to do some restoration but for some reason they stopped. (I have a feeling they fired the person they'd been using). No more restoration was done, and later on, we saw the house and bought it. Most of the work looked fine, but this one problem is really annoying.

Any suggestions? I'd rather put this in, ourselves, rather than hire someone to do it, because we're looking at going onto a fixed income very soon, and the extra expense would be difficult.
muskratdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

The bottom piece of 2 x4 that the studs sit on is a base plate. When I install baseboard I nail into the studs, not the base plate. The drywall does not HAVE to go to the floor for the baseboard to be supported. If there is a big gap between the two, you could lay in cut strips of drywall or any scrap wood that is the same thickness as the drywall as a shim or support behind the baseboard. Just nail into the studs about 1/3rd down from the top of the baseboard and you will be fine. I find if I happen to nail into the baseplate it seems to draw the bottom in and kicks out the tops of the baseboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

2 inches is alot and more than normal but still workable. Using a slightly bigger baseboard could make it easier. You will have to nail just into the studs. The bottoms will pull in with a 2 inch gap if you nail to the plate. Get a stud finder or just look and find a stud. they should then be 16 inches apart from each other. I would double check a few with a stud finder but then you can mark the floor with tape every 16 so you know where to nail. I am assuming you might not have a nail gun so if hand nailing you will know you hit a stud.
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

I don't think this has any bearing on this at all but my "assistant" and I absolutely HATED nailing in baseboards until I got a set of "compressed air powered" nailers. I use the medium sized nailer to shoot 15 ga. 2.5 in. nails into baseboards. works great

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
2 inches is alot and more than normal but still workable. Using a slightly bigger baseboard could make it easier. You will have to nail just into the studs. The bottoms will pull in with a 2 inch gap if you nail to the plate. Get a stud finder or just look and find a stud. they should then be 16 inches apart from each other. I would double check a few with a stud finder but then you can mark the floor with tape every 16 so you know where to nail. I am assuming you might not have a nail gun so if hand nailing you will know you hit a stud.
If there's a 2" gap, you won't need a stud finder with a single bottom plate.
Rip 1/2" plywood into strips about 1 1/2" wide and nail them to the framing. Keep the ply off the floor the 1/2".
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the prompt help, everyone. I live in lower Slobbovia, (Western New York state) where it's horribly cold all winter. No, I don't have a power-nailer..but that's ok, I'll cope. I will pick up some 'spacer wood' to fill in these gaps, and use 2 1/2 inch nails.

Sooo glad to have found this website.

M
muskratdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If there's a 2" gap, you won't need a stud finder with a single bottom plate.
Rip 1/2" plywood into strips about 1 1/2" wide and nail them to the framing. Keep the ply off the floor the 1/2".
not a 2 inch gap but you would for a 1 inch gap......why rip plywood if you are going to fill it just fill it with sheetrock. a lot easier to cut than ripping plywood sheets if they dont have many tools
Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
not a 2 inch gap but you would for a 1 inch gap......why rip plywood if you are going to fill it just fill it with sheetrock. a lot easier to cut than ripping plywood sheets if they dont have many tools
Plywood is less likely to wick water up if the house has an issue.
If you own a house and are doing things yourself, you should have tools. A circular saw is a basic tool. So's a table saw in my mind.
Small pieces of sheetrock are a pain in the ass as they easily break.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Plywood is less likely to wick water up if the house has an issue.
If you own a house and are doing things yourself, you should have tools. A circular saw is a basic tool. So's a table saw in my mind.
Small pieces of sheetrock are a pain in the ass as they easily break.
yeah but they dont have a nail gun so having a table saw or circular saw and fence I wasn't counting on

Tags
baseboard, sheetrock gap