Need Help With Interior Doors - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help with interior doors

I recently purchased new 6 panel masonite hollow doors from HD. The new doors are about 1/8th of an inch thinner than the old doors and will not shut. The door seems to be catching on the hinge side of the door stop and it looks as if the hinges are pulling away from the frame when I try to shut the door. I've tried cardboard shims under the hinges to no avail. When I installed the hinges on the door and placed the door into the frame it fit with a nice even reveal around the door until I try and screw the hinges in.I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev View Post
I recently purchased new 6 panel masonite hollow doors from HD. The new doors are about 1/8th of an inch thinner than the old doors and will not shut. The door seems to be catching on the hinge side of the door stop and it looks as if the hinges are pulling away from the frame when I try to shut the door. I've tried cardboard shims under the hinges to no avail. When I installed the hinges on the door and placed the door into the frame it fit with a nice even reveal around the door until I try and screw the hinges in.I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?
Take a little block of wood and tap the door stop so the door don't catch on it. Put longer screws in to the hinge, because the existing screw holes probably worn and do not hold same size screws.
They also sell plastic hinge shims, most places sell them, they slip real nice behind the hinge, they already have screw knock-outs and keep the hinges nice and straight.

I hope this helps good luck

Advertisement

Greg24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

old painted doorstops would likely break apart or at least the paint would flake off if you hammered them. it sounds to me like you need to remove the door, fill all the holes with toothpicks or similar wood (and wood glue) and start over, remembering the 1/8" difference.

DM
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

Dangermouse is right you just set your hinges too deep on the door because of the 1/8" differance. Take off the effected doors and fill screw holes (I like to use golf tees. put a little wood glue on and tap it in then once dry cut it off with a sharp chisel and lite tap). If you make the adjustment on the door side of the hinge (rather than on the jam) the resulting gap in the mortise will be less noticable.(to everyone but you)
OutToPasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #5

Well I pretty much ruined the door I was workin on anyway so next I will try it on a new fresh door trrying not to set the hinges too deep. I purchased one of those door hinge butt markers from HD. Anyone have any luck with these or any suggestions?
Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
the Musigician

i did say toothpicks or SIMILAR (golf tees, pot sticker sticks, scrap doweling)
insofar as hinge butt markers? ....never used one, but if you follow the instructions, it should put them in the right place this time.
bummer you had to replace the door, though this time may i suggest you get one the same thickness as the old one?
or is there a reason you had to go thinner?

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 03-21-2009 at 07:25 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Did you install the door slab with the bevel on the latch side? sight the top of the door and find the long side of the bevel this will be the inside of the door knob side when shut. it could be that you have the bevel on the hinge side. with the long side of the bevel against the stop. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Woody

home depot slabs don't come beveled. they are slabs you make them what you want ie. right or left hand.
Phuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Woody

is the inside of the door hitting the stop or is it binding at the hinge? if its hitting the stop, on your next attempt try mortising the hinge closer to the edge of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
need help with interior doors-door.jpg  
Phuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Phuture's drawing shows you why you do not want to use the butt hinge marker in this case. You're going to have to adjust and fake this one a little.

The butt hinge marker will not allow you to do this in the proper direction.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Next time take three charge cards and tape them on the stop side of the door behind each hinge fit the slab in the opening after fitting the door in the opening. put a little pressure against the slab where the hinge is on the jamb. I would make a mark along the hinge leaf where the door is at all hinge locations, then remove slab, install the other half of the hing to the jamb hinges and then transfer that mark to the door hinge. now you have your set back of the hinge. the charge cards are what I use for a gauge for setting my stops on field hung doors. the most important thing is fitting the slab to the frame. once the slab is hung close the door and transfer the center mark of the striker plate, this will be your center mark for the lockset. Hope this helps BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #12

i am facing something similar as well, and i did set the hinges too deep and took the effected doors off and filled the screwws. But thats not looking good anymore, what do i do? tell me something that really helps.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev View Post
are your hinges counter sunk or on top of the case,it sounds like your hinges could possibly be out of alignment also if the frame is from the old doors just reset the hinges or the stop itself,any troubles just goto dhr.name,this is my website and it has my 800# no catch my site is new and I haven't wrote it down yet ,dhr.name,or email desuttershomerepair@gmail.com I Donnie the owner.

Advertisement

buid4u is offline   Reply With Quote