DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help with cabinets

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Kat13 
#1 ·
We are dealing with an issue with our kitchen cabinets and don't know what to do.
The kitchen cabinets appear to be coming apart at the seams. The back wall of the cabinets is screwed in to the wall but it's the sides that have become unglued (?) and are separating from the back wall. We assume it was due to the weight of the dishes we store inside.
We've had to remove the dishes before they all fell to the floor and caused major damage to the countertop and floor.

Could you please tell me how we go about in fixing this or do we need to purchase new ones? It would be a very expensive thing to do, if we replaced them. I just need some advice on this.
We are the third owners of our home and have no idea who the builder was (in case we needed to have them replaced).

I always thought that kitchen cabinets lasted forever or until you decided to change them out.
I'm including pictures to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Cel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cabinets do not last forever, that said in this case these cabinets were NOT of any "quality" when new. It will be cheaper and faster and SAFER to replace them. To attempt to "repair" them properly they will have to be UNINSTALLED, then worked on if it is possible to repair than re-install. Cost way more than just getting a better grade,new cabinets.
Jack

#4 ·
Cabinets do not last forever, that said in this case these cabinets were NOT of any "quality" when new. It will be cheaper and faster and SAFER to replace them. To attempt to "repair" them properly they will have to be UNINSTALLED, then worked on if it is possible to repair than re-install. Cost way more than just getting a better grade,new cabinets.
Jack
This advice is spot-on. :yes:

#3 ·
It looks to me either whoever hung the cabinets was on drugs... or this is some sort of an attempt at repair. It looks to me like the cabinet is pulling away from the nailing strip for whatever reason. I see a nail driven in the side, along with the screw.

I'm not a cabinet maker.. but, I find it hard to believe that an attempt at repair would be more costly than buying all new cabinets.

Here's what I would try as a repair attempt. Prop the cabinet up underneath with some 2x4's... take that goofy screw out... and maybe that nail if you can with out damaging the cabinets too much. Then, try to push the cabinet up from underneath... possibly by inserting shims or using some sort of jack until it's back is up against the wall where it's supposed to be.

Once the cabinet is where you want it, drive two pilot holes through the outside into the end of the nailing strip. Then drive two 2" wood screws through the cabinet side and into the nailing strip. Inspect the nailing strip if you can, and make sure it's securely stuck to the wall. I'd say, by your picture, it's not the nailing strip that's failing.. it's the cabinet's connection to the nailing strip. Then, go to home depot and buy some white screw covers for those screw heads. Be prepared to ask about four people who will tell you they don't have them... but they do. Oh.. and maybe some wood filler and paint to fill in that goofy screw hole through the moulding.

If you really want to get fancy, you could counter sink the screws and get some white laminate to stick over the whole face covering your repair job... or.. water that plant so it grows over it. ;)

#5 ·
I know everyone does not have the money to replace with new and some times have to repair for the time being..
You can attach a 1x3 or larger to the inside of the cabinet as shown in the picture (top and bottom if you like. Jack it back into place with a jack,wedges or what ever.Drill holes and counter sink to look better from the outside into the 1X and then attach to the studs through the 1X3's. Paint white and no one but you will know the difference.

Attachments

#6 ·
Remove the "goofy" screw. Install a 1x2 or 1x3 as Taz says, but keep it up tight to the top inside of the cabinet. Scew it into the studs. Push the cabinet back where it belongs and run screws down into the new strip from the top of the cabinet. No need to put screws in the sides where they can be seen. The back of the cabinet is probably only 1/4" thick material which is now pulling away from the rest of the case.

#8 ·
I would shop around for cabinets that you have to assemble to save yourself some money. They don't have to be high quality but the can be durable. Not sure if I have enough post to name the store I was thinking of. I use them when I build affordable houses and my customers love them.

Nia

#9 ·
There are a couple different options for replacing your cabinets, that may be cost effective for you.

1. Look on Craigslist. You will find both new & used cabinets, at very good prices.
2. Go to your local Habitat For Humanity Restore. These cabinets will be used, but are generally fairly nice. The store in my area usually has 4 to 5 full sets of cabinets. Depending on the number of pieces & style the prices range from $500 to $2000. With the $2000 cabinets being a huge set, in excellent condition and very new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.