Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Share |
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


So I started on installing a pantry cabinet today. It is a 'Homecrest' make and Heartland is the model. The cabinet is being installed at the end of a countertop. The countertop overhangs the base cabinet as usual. The problem was that the pantry cabinet has a 3/4" or so lip that sticks out in the front... this mean either the counter top was going to have to be trimmed or a notch was going to have to be cut in the lip on the cabinet so that the side of the cabinet would sit flush against the counter.

I chose to cut the notch. Everything went great... I probably couldn't have done it better. I had the linoleum cut tight to where the cabinet would rest and the notch was cut tight too. In fact, it turns out that I cut everything to fit so perfectly, that once I positioned the cabinet to 'test fit'... it couldnt be moved back out. It was getting caught on the edge of the linoleum, and I couldnt really lift and pull because the notch I had cut was so tight. Something had to give... and it did. The notch I had cut out in the cabinet ended up chipping trying to move the cabinet back out. In hind sight I should have cut away a bit more of the linoleum and just let the quarter round cover the cut... but too late for that now.

So my question is, is there any thing I can do to repair this chip? I took part of what chipped off and glued it in place but there is still a small section missing and you can see the outline of the chip that is glued in place. Here are some pics.

Here is the notch that was cut so the side of the cabinet would rest flush against the counter:


And here is the chip:


Close-up:


As you can see, its not unbearable... its just very irritating knowing that it was a new cabinet and now it has a somewhat noticeable chip in it, especially since I had it in place at one time and it was perfect lol. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


try a colour matched wax stick.

I would have ordered a filler for under the countertop lip...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-24-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
try a colour matched wax stick.

I would have ordered a filler for under the countertop lip...
I have a color matched wax stick... I'll try it and see how it looks. Also, I ordered the filler for under the countertop lip but I have to wait until monday for the cabinet place to open so they can cut it for me. I dont have a table saw.
eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 206
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


If it bugs you unbearably and it would me, I think I would call the cabinet co. and see if they can put a new face board just on that side, probably wouldn't cost much, since you are a customer already.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,090
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


If the color stick doesn't make it to your liking, you can buy some color putty to fill any slight cracks or holes. I like the color stick as it will hide the majority of the chip. By the way, use mineral spirits to smooth the color putty and clean up the area.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
If it bugs you unbearably and it would me, I think I would call the cabinet co. and see if they can put a new face board just on that side, probably wouldn't cost much, since you are a customer already.
The faceframes are glued and screwed together and probably glued to the cabinet carcasse. Hardly worth the time and money.
Glue the piece on, find a stain(Minwax Natural) to match and move on.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 10-24-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,903
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


A filler strip would have been used in this case to allow the cabinet to not be notched for the counter.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (10-24-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 204
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


I got all my kraftmaid cabinets from their outlet store and they've got their share of dings and nicks like this (i'm sure i added some getting them home). the wax crayon worked great, they won't look new forever.

I like your method over the filler strip anyhow, looks neater and one less seam to keep clean.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A filler strip would have been used in this case to allow the cabinet to not be notched for the counter.
Incorrect. Either a notch in the cabinet or the counter top would have had to have been cut. Most would probably cut the counter, but I didnt want to do that since an error here would have forced me to remove the sink and replace the counter top. A filler will still be used at the face of the cabinet, but using one between the side of the cabinet and the counter top would have been and looked ridiculous.
eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,903
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by eemichael83

Incorrect. Either a notch in the cabinet or the counter top would have had to have been cut. Most would probably cut the counter, but I didnt want to do that since an error here would have forced me to remove the sink and replace the counter top. A filler will still be used at the face of the cabinet, but using one between the side of the cabinet and the counter top would have been and looked ridiculous.
Have you ever installed cabinets? A filler is used between the cabinets, and when installing the counter, nothing should be notched if it was done correctly.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Have you ever installed cabinets? A filler is used between the cabinets, and when installing the counter, nothing should be notched if it was done correctly.
This counter top already exists... So you are telling me, that you would cut a strip of filler that is 1/4" thick, and curved to match the profile of the counter top... that also wouldnt match the finish of either the cabinet nor the counter top, and place it in the area between the side of the cabinet and the edge of the counter top that is circled in yellow below? And my second option wasn't to notch the counter top, it was to cut it up to the edge of the base cabinet that is already there... as stated before.


Last edited by eemichael83; 10-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.
eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,903
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by eemichael83

This counter top already exists... So you are telling me, that you would cut a strip of filler that is 1/4" thick, and curved to match the profile of the counter top... that also wouldnt match the finish of either the cabinet nor the counter top, and place it in the area between the side of the cabinet and the edge of the counter top that is circled in yellow below? And my second option wasn't to notch the counter top, it was to cut it up to the edge of the base cabinet that is already there... as stated before.
You are not getting it, which means that you have never installed cabinets before. I would suggest understanding how the job should have been done, not how the OP wanted to do it, and now they have a sloppy install.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You are not getting it, which means that you have never installed cabinets before. I would suggest understanding how the job should have been done, not how the OP wanted to do it, and now they have a sloppy install.
Thank you for the unnecessarily condescending remark...

So explain it to me because the English words that you have typed out pretty explicitly state that I should make a 1/4" filler for between the edge of the cabinet and the countertop. I dont have to have a background in cabinet installation to know that is a terrible idea... maybe you're the one not getting it. Is english a second language to you? or perhaps your comprehension skills are just low since its clear you can't even decipher that I AM the OP.

Last edited by eemichael83; 10-26-2010 at 03:17 PM.
eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


To avoid the notching and all the associated agnst, all you had to do was order a filler 1/4" panel that would have fitted on the side of the pantry cabinet. It would have run from the countertop to the top of the pantry cabinet. This would have been planned and ordered when the cabinets were ordered. Whoever designed the kitchen was inexperienced and did not detail the job.
Any gaps at the base and wall cabinets would have been filled in with filler strips.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Default

Need help! Cabinet install gone slightly wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
To avoid the notching and all the associated agnst, all you had to do was order a filler 1/4" panel that would have fitted on the side of the pantry cabinet. It would have run from the countertop to the top of the pantry cabinet. This would have been planned and ordered when the cabinets were ordered. Whoever designed the kitchen was inexperienced and did not detail the job.
Any gaps at the base and wall cabinets would have been filled in with filler strips.
Ron
Thank you Ron for an informative post. A filler PANEL makes much more sense than using a filler STRIP. I did order the filler for the gaps at the base and wall cabinet but I was not informed of any other type of filler for this cabinet and its finish by the cabinet supplier when I talked to them. Maybe it just slipped their minds, but that kind of solution would have certainly been easier. It's too late now, but oh well. Aside from the small chipped part, it looks really good. I think once I apply the color matched wax touchup and a small bead of caulk to keep moisture from making its way between cabinets, it will barely be noticeable if even at all.

eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eemichael83 For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (10-26-2010)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice for kitchen cabinet harware! sychopants Carpentry 11 10-19-2010 01:24 PM
Drawer Slide for Cabinet w/o back george0410 Carpentry 2 04-08-2010 05:53 PM
hanging 9" kitchen cabinet (wall) and hit air duct, no stud phunam04 Building & Construction 4 06-16-2009 10:08 PM
Preparing to install Kerdi on bathtub surround DIY-Renovator Flooring 18 07-17-2008 10:42 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.