Need Help With Building A Workbench Top With Glued 4x4s - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need help with building a workbench top with glued 4x4s

I'm building a bench top made with Douglas Fir S4S 4x4s and want to make sure my plans/techniques checks out before I start. The dimensions are 28" x 58". I'm planning to simply glue them together with Gorilla Glue, then clamp together overnight to dry. Is this all there is to it to make a strong bond and quality top or should I be thinking about doing it another way?

Thanks.

Advertisement

blue sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Dowels or biscuits in there to better secure. I would use something other than Gorilla glue. As for clamping, overnight is not going to be enough, depending on temp and humidity of the space that you are putting it together for gluing. I would probably give it at least three days min, maybe a week max before taking off the clamps and Planing & sanding down to a proper thickness.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Dowels or biscuits in there to better secure. I would use something other than Gorilla glue. As for clamping, overnight is not going to be enough, depending on temp and humidity of the space that you are putting it together for gluing. I would probably give it at least three days min, maybe a week max before taking off the clamps and Planing & sanding down to a proper thickness.
Thanks for the heads up about letting it dry longer and the dowels. I think I'm going to use Titebond III instead of gorilla glue.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Any decent good wood glue will work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
Thanks for the heads up about letting it dry longer and the dowels. I think I'm going to use Titebond III instead of gorilla glue.
Very good idea. Gorilla glue pretty well...... oh well, it's just my opinion.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 672

I never would have used 4 X 4's ever!
There not dimensionally stable enough, there going to twist and check.
Look at any hard wood work table, there a max of 2 X 4.
There also through bolted with threaded rod.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 506

try looking into this type of work bench: http://www.azwoodman.com/how-to-build-workbench.html

or this one: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...is-one-is-easy
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

you could use 2x4 fir on edge, still giving you 4" of top. drill 1/2" holes thru
each 2x on ends and middle (use jig for uniform placement of holes) slide
each 2x onto 1/2" dowels.The dowels will keep things in alignment. Do a dry fit first, then i would use titebond III. You can add 2x's as long as you have
dowels exposed or add as many as your clamps allow, then continue.
norkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norkota View Post
you could use 2x4 fir on edge, still giving you 4" of top. drill 1/2" holes thru
each 2x on ends and middle (use jig for uniform placement of holes) slide
each 2x onto 1/2" dowels.The dowels will keep things in alignment. Do a dry fit first, then i would use titebond III. You can add 2x's as long as you have
dowels exposed or add as many as your clamps allow, then continue.
This sounds like a plan. What do you suggest for making my jig? I'm thinking about using a piece of mdf cut to match the 2x4s after I rip to remove the rolled edges. Do you have a better suggestion? Thx
Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

regular wood glue such as titebone 2 or 3 will work, so will lepages or elmers.

simply using a biscuit jointer will work fine. before you start using the biscuit joiner though you should run the lumber across a jointer on one edge and face then through a thickness planer to flatten it from there you can begin the glue up process

when your all set to clamp run multiple bar clamps along the length of it, then using 2x4's on edge both on top and bottom clamp these so to keep the bench top from curling up as you apply pressure from the bar clamps.

ive used this method many times, for buildng solid wood dining room tables, benches, and wood doors
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 672

There is no fixture needed, just set up the 2 X 4's on edge and clamp. Use a framing square to lay out the lines, reliece the clamps and transfure the lines with a speed sq. Drill the holes 5/8", they need to be through holes not tap fit so it will pull tight. If you use a bullet tipped type drill bit it will not slip around. Use can use a combination square to mark center or make a simple jig by marking three places evenly spaced on a piece of 1 X about 3" apart. The center hole gets drilled 5/8, the two outside ones get 1/4 holes, Drive in two 1/4" fluted dowels. Now you can just set the piece on any 2 X 4 and twist it and it will find center.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

You can also swap theaded rod for the dowels, use washers and nuts on each end. they would act as clamps.

Advertisement

norkota is offline   Reply With Quote