Need Drawing/details Of Front Entrance Cover - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need drawing/details of front entrance cover

I want to build a front door entrance cover like this:

I need help in order to get started. I asked for help at "Building & Construction" sub-forum. schmolze gave me some hints:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
it's a simple "shed roof" supported by brackets underneath and a ledger on the house, with terra cotta shingles.

all you really need to figure out is the design of your brackets, both spec'd for size/load, as well as material and shape, and the design of your fascia or trim along the outer edge.

from there it's a simple shed roof.

not sure if those pilasters are serving any structural purpose of supporting the brackets, or if they're just decorative. i would guess decorative, and the brackets are bolted onto the studs.

good luck.
I wonder if I can find more help here. I live at bay area. Does anyone recommend a carpenter or architect to help this project? Or can anyone give me a detailed drawing? It doesn't have to be exactly the same. I would love to pay for a doable one.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement

Last edited by pttcc; 09-24-2010 at 01:06 AM.
pttcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Multiple posts on the same subject has no real advantage.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

PTTCC:
i received a PM from you but my inbox was full so i didn't get it.
please resend.

i'll do my best to help you out.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

found a good link:
if you build the brackets out of wood:
http://books.google.com/books?id=E5S...page&q&f=false

that's basically what you want at the top right. choose some good exterior wood, like fir, mahogany, etc... seal it well.

no one can lay this out for you. you need to figure out where your landing/stairs are, and how far out you want the roof to come. once you know that you can determine size and shape of brackets.
i would recommend 4X4 for the brackets, or even some steel or iron brackets if you can find them someplace.

spanning across the top of the brackets you'd bolt on another 4X4.
then figure out the pitch of the roof, or hang a ledger arbitrarily. then connect the dots with rafters and rafter tail design of your choosing, if any.
in the picture it looks like the rafter dies right on top of the header, then the terra cotta just ends at a point right at the edge.

tricky to see exactly what's been done in the photo you uploaded, but it looks quite a bit more fancy than what i'm proposing. however the basic theory is the same.

i would recommend you make this quite a bit more simple. it can still be really beautiful and cool. go for more of a simple craftsman look.
but even so, if this is your first carpentry project i would do quite a bit more research into this first.
and in general i would recommend you either read that book online, or buy it. i think there might even be a section on terra cotta shingles in there.

Last edited by wombosi; 09-24-2010 at 07:04 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wombosi For This Useful Post:
pttcc (09-24-2010)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,302

If you want to find a contractor or designer --Try posting that picture at the sister site-Contractor talk
Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Go to the help wanted section.---For fun look at the finish carpentry section--posts by basswood

He has done some historic restorations, amazing skills.

If you have trouble posting over there because you are not a contractor,PM me--I'll post a link for you.--Mike--( I'm mikeswoods over there)
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
pttcc (09-24-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Hi, being as you are in California you may actually need engineering on this one. Even though it is just a small shed roof over an entrance the powers that be will, I think require it.
Your best bet is to take this picture to your Planning and Building and Safety departments and check with them if engineering will be needed. While you are there ask them what else will be needed for a permit. Site plan, floor plan, elevations, architectural details? I am willing to bet all will be required even for a simple project like this.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
DIY staff

Once you have a set of drawings----you will need to find someone with a big bandsaw--

Some deck builders make pergolas --and may be able to build the frames for you--might even do the complete job.

Millwork companies could build the brackets---as well as an advanced hobbyist--see if you have a wook working club near by---Good luck,Mike
Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
DIY staff

Here is a link to a designer that may be able to make you some drawings---I've seen some of his work--
He has a good eye for balance and proportion,I even contacted him about a job in San Diago some time back.TARDIF DRAFTING AND DESIGN

His prices were very competitive and I recommended my customer contact him when they were ready to plan their project.---

Hope that helped--Mike--

Advertisement