Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #1

Share |
Red face

Need Counter Help Fast!

We installed new stock kitchen base cabinets and stock counter. It's 24" deep with a slope up backsplash. The sink is 22" outside size (21" inside). We need to cut the hole for the sink, but can't figure out how to get a tool (or what tool to use) to get close enough to cut by the backsplash. The only idea we can come up with is a sawzall, but the blade will have to be bent to quite a degree. Any ideas? The counter is already attached to the base, so we can't move it. (This is all done on short weekends up north at the cabin, so there's a little "make do" going on) I have a party planned the day after we get there and I really need running water! Any ideas appreciated ASAP!

skits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #2

Need Counter Help Fast!

Can you cut it from underneath the cabinet? If not a fine-toothed pull saw works great for stuff like that, and should be thin and flexible enough to do the job.

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Need Counter Help Fast!

I don't think there's room underneath the cabinet, as we still have the wall in the way. Pull saw (if I'm picturing it right) might work. The problem is the wall and backsplash, not leaving much room for the handle of whatever tool we use. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Old School

Need Counter Help Fast!

The way to do it would be to take the top off so you can work on it. The underside is flat, so a jig saw will work. If you can't remove it, a sawzall should be able to fit. You could cut the corners with a hole cutter and a drill, then saw straight into the edge of the hole. You may be trying to mount the sink too far back. It's best to mount closer to the front. You may have to trim out some of the upper rail (if there is one). BTW, I hate those tops.
cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #5

Need Counter Help Fast!

There's no too far back. The counter is 24" and the sink is 22" outside. This is a get what you can get done on the weekend, 3 hours away. Can't remove the countertop anymore.... Guess we'll go with the sawzall. But appreciate the help. We'll check out under, but think the problem will be the same....and in case you're wondering, this wasn't a deal where we could have them cut it ahead of time....LOL
Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Need Counter Help Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skits View Post
There's no too far back. The counter is 24" and the sink is 22" outside. This is a get what you can get done on the weekend, 3 hours away. Can't remove the countertop anymore.... Guess we'll go with the sawzall. But appreciate the help. We'll check out under, but think the problem will be the same....and in case you're wondering, this wasn't a deal where we could have them cut it ahead of time....LOL
As stated, sink cut outs are done prior to the top being installed. That aside, assuming that this is a top mounted sink, the sawzall blade should work (Assuming that you can get the saw and it's handle into position) You may havet to get on a small step ladder in order to be positioned properly to cut it.
Draw your outline on your counter top, and cut as much as you can with your jig saw. Be cautious to only cut as much as you need out. Remember that it is more important to undercut and take a little more off, than to over cut and have the hole too big.
With a top mounted sink, you should have some area of "Play" before the sink's edge meet the couner top. That area allows you the ability to "hide" any rough cuts on the counter top. That means that even if your sawzall cut is a little rough/ugly, it should still all be hidden by the sink flange's edge.

For the sawzall blade, get several long multi teeth blades for metal. NOT the jagged edged wood tooth blades. The wood tooth blades will cut fast and jagged. The smaller, multi tooth blades will cut finer and slower and allow you much more control over your cutting. If you bend a blade, then swap out a new one. If you try to continue cutting with a slightly bent blade, the cut will be warped as well.

Good Luck...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-20-2007 at 04:29 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Need Counter Help Fast!

Also, as stated already, make sure that the sink you have is positioned correctly and that it is the the right size for your counter top.....it shouldn't be going so far rear-ward towards the back splash...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #8

Need Counter Help Fast!

Thanks for all the advice. If we weren't always short on time, we could have made this a lot easier. It's hard being it's so far away. As far as the size for the sink, 22" seems to be the standard size, and the counter tops (when you buy cheap, ready made) are all 24." Live and learn.... again, thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #9

Need Counter Help Fast!

How far is the mounting slot (on the sink) away from the back edge of the sink?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #10
Cabinet Installer

Need Counter Help Fast!

This advice may be too little to late but here it is. I Install laminate tops regularly. Normally you would cut the sink hole from the bottom before you install it. I have had to install tops when I didn't know what sink to cut and return to cut it from the top later. When I do this I usually use a hole Saw (Big Drill Bit) to Drill the radius at each corner. I then use a hand saw to connect the edges of the holes I drilled. You need to be careful while pulling up on the saw as this can chip the laminate. Make your cut with the pressure pushing the laminate toward the substrate counter core. You can use a jig saw from the top where you can as long as the teeth on the blade push down I (I use Bosh T101BR).

Good Luck,

http://www.belbuilt.com
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote