Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #1

Share |

Need to build a new deck on a end-unit town house, need planning advice

So this is my first post on this fourm. My "DIY experience" is pretty good, I've done flooring (ceremic), drywall, kitchen cabients, plumbing, electrical, doors (interior/exterior), concrete and just recenly built a shed. I have a end unit town house and I want to put the deck on the first level (which is about 8 feet from the ground. The problem is that most books simply describe decks that are low-level (couple of feet of the ground) therefore it's easy to lay out batter boards. I also want to do a "cantilever deck", since this is what I commonly see in my neighborhood.

1. How do I find the positions of where the post are supposed to be? If I'm doing a higher deck (8' or so), how would I run mason lines if the ledger board is high above.
2. How many supports are generaly used in a given beam span?
3. When securing the ledger board to the house band, how would I know where the top and the bottom of the band behind the way is? I don't want to secure it so high or so low.

steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #2

You might want to go to the library or buy some deck building books to check out before going any further.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

One useful guide to building a safe and code compliant deck can be found at: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

You would set the posts the same whether the deck was on the ground or 8 feet off the ground.
The higher a deck is off the ground, the more critical the construction becomes.
As previously suggested, get some information under your belt before picking up the tools.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote