Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |
Need to build enclosure for multiple outside a/c units.

Our church has approx. 10-12 a/c units we need to protect from year round falling leaves, twigs, branches, etc. The structure needs to be ridgid and allow us to maintain the units. If you have any ideas for us, we would appreciate it greatly. Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by firedudesgirl; 03-30-2009 at 03:05 PM.
firedudesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Are they all beside each other or do you need 12 separate enclosures? I'm guessing these are outdoor compressors and not window units?

I would think for one unit, build something like a storage shed/barn frame and cover it with fiberglass. Lightweight, doesn't need a lot a framing materials, etc. Wouldn't be the world's strongest in case of a strong storm but then if a hurricane hits those A/C units would probably be way down the list.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #3

You need to make sure that you don't impede air movement to and from the condensers. Likely at least 3-4' is my nonpro guess. Might want to post this on the HVAC site for additional insights.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Are they all beside each other or do you need 12 separate enclosures? I'm guessing these are outdoor compressors and not window units?

I would think for one unit, build something like a storage shed/barn frame and cover it with fiberglass. Lightweight, doesn't need a lot a framing materials, etc. Wouldn't be the world's strongest in case of a strong storm but then if a hurricane hits those A/C units would probably be way down the list.
Thank you for the quick reply ~ Yes, they are outdoor compressors and situated beside each other in an L-shape,(six on each side). I'm thinking two-three compressors enclosed together might work. I like your idea of fiberglass for the cover because it's sturdy and when on a slight slope, leaves should slide off easily. Thanks!
firedudesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Make sure that you leave plenty of room for air flow around the units!

Tags
a/c units, falling leaves, structure