Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

Share |
Question

** Need advise for falling kitchen cabinets**

Hello, I just returned home from a short overseas military assignment and found my cabinets were falling off the wall. My wife said she didn't have anything to do with it, but I'm skeptical! Most of the cabinets are pulling apart at the rear joint, but there's a couple spots where they're being pulled from the wall as well (it was like a chain reactions).

Can you guys offer any advise for repairing these without taking them down? These are cheapo cabinets in my budget townhouse. I just want to find a safe way to mount them back up without pulling them down and regluing and restapling/renailing them (not concerned with cosmetics).

Any advise is greatly appreciated!! - Rick

RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Oh Boy... It's not the mount... the whole cabinet is pulling apart. ( I think they're adios)

Are you trying to actually fix them.... or just support them up there for awhile till you replace them.

How familiar/ handy are you some light carpentry. Might be easier to just hang new.

All I can immediately think of would be 2x2 support on the cabinet wall or top (well screwed) and reattached to the wall... but I doubt any part of that cabinet is sturdy enough to support the remaining cabinet.

If they are not too flimsy up there.... maybe something coming up from the counter to add support... like what you allready have there.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-18-2013 at 05:15 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
DIY staff

As you see they were not very strong boxes and the weight of the microwave---and dishes --coupled with inadequate fastening to the studs has caused the things to fall apart.

You need to find the studs----jack up the microwave---and any other boxes that are sagged of the wall---and screw them to the wall--then add glue blocks to the top--2x2s might work---and glue and screw in the blocks across the back and sides of every box.

This work would be easier to do if you took the boxes down --glued and reassembled them and re hung em'---but you need to decide how nice a job is required---
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

I just want to get them up so they don't fall down. They are cheap and I don't plan to live here much longer, so I'm not too worried if it's jerry-rigged. I just want it to be safe. I have an idea, but not sure I can explain it, or if it will work.

I was thinking maybe screw board to the top of each cabinet and then screw that into the studs (might be better if I try a diagram).
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
JOATMON

Mtn is right....those cabinets are not well made.

Don't blame the wife....I would be afraid to put a whole lot of weight in them.

There are 2 things that hold them in place.....screws at the bottom act as the shear and actually support a majority of the weight.

The top has to purpose of not allowing the top to pull away from the wall. So, as the weight moves further away from the wall, the force on the top to pull away increases.

Personally, I don't see a whole lot of hope for those cabinets....Ikea makes better stuff than that.

I think your better off buying new ones or looking for some used one....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post
I just want to get them up so they don't fall down. They are cheap and I don't plan to live here much longer, so I'm not too worried if it's jerry-rigged. I just want it to be safe. I have an idea, but not sure I can explain it, or if it will work.

I was thinking maybe screw board to the top of each cabinet and then screw that into the studs (might be better if I try a diagram).
Ok...with that said....

Go to home HD....get you some 1x4 white pine....and over near the screw section they should have a section just for Simpson hardware...this is the stuff used to hold framing together....you want a few of what looks like L-Brackets...thin sheet metal...about 2-3" wide...and 2-3" long on each side.

You will need to take the cabinets down and work on each one.

Your going to cut a piece so that it fits between the sides on the top...pic #4 is a good example.

Your going to run at least 2 screws through the side into the ends of the boards. You want this board to be at the very back.

Next, your going to take that L bracket and mount it so that one side is on top of the new board and the other goes down the back of the cabinet. The purpose of this bracket is to tie the sides to the back. The best location is one where it lines up with a stud in the wall. That way when you run the screw back in, it catches the bracket.

Put the cabinet back in place.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote:
You need to find the studs----jack up the microwave---and any other boxes that are sagged of the wall---and screw them to the wall--then add glue blocks to the top--2x2s might work---and glue and screw in the blocks across the back and sides of every box.
This is what I was thinking!

Quote:
This work would be easier to do if you took the boxes down --glued and reassembled them and re hung em'---but you need to decide how nice a job is required---
I'm not too worried about looks or quality. These cabinets are the ugliest thing the house and the wife has been asking for new ones for a while. However, I want to more soon and I'm already tapped out on the value of this home, so it would be wasted money.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
JOATMON

BTW Rick....thanks for your service to our country.

The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Ok...with that said....

Go to home HD....get you some 1x4 white pine....and over near the screw section they should have a section just for Simpson hardware...this is the stuff used to hold framing together....you want a few of what looks like L-Brackets...thin sheet metal...about 2-3" wide...and 2-3" long on each side.

You will need to take the cabinets down and work on each one.

Your going to cut a piece so that it fits between the sides on the top...pic #4 is a good example.

Your going to run at least 2 screws through the side into the ends of the boards. You want this board to be at the very back.

Next, your going to take that L bracket and mount it so that one side is on top of the new board and the other goes down the back of the cabinet. The purpose of this bracket is to tie the sides to the back. The best location is one where it lines up with a stud in the wall. That way when you run the screw back in, it catches the bracket.

Put the cabinet back in place.
Still processing all your advise, but I do REALLY appreciate the help!!! I was hoping I wouldn't have to take them down, but I guess it won't be as bad as I was thinking.

Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you (from all serving). Proud to do it!!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Hi Rick,

Nothing about these cabinets is your wife's fault. It is the fault of whoever made them. You cannot expect stapes to hold sawdust together. I guess you can try to reinforce the corners with clear 1 x 2 pine and drywall screws, but you will definitely have to take them down first to be able to clamp them square. If you glue and screw the corners with construction adhesive, you may be able to salvage them.

As the others have said Thank You for serving, and welcome home from a
NamVet

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
STAFF

If you are not opposed to taking them down that would be the best way, but if you don't want to then the cleat screwed to the top and screwed into the wall plus a trim strip for the cabinets to rest on the walls might work but it is very iffy. Squeeze glue in the open cracks before screwing cleats to wall.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #14

I'd replace them, make the wife happy. In my area, you would get all the money back when you sell. Cheapo cabinets that have obviously been repaired can actually cost you the deal (or money off of the deal) if noticed by the buyer/home Inspector.

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #15

1. Take the cabinets OFF the wall.

2. Re-glue all the joints with Elmer's.

3 Install a 1x2, or better yet a 2x4, inside the box, at the top, glue back, sides and top of this added piece of lumber, then screw into that 1x2, or 2x4, from the box sides and top.

4. Mark stud locations on the wall just above the cabinets so you can tell where to screw into the studs,

5. Mount cabinets by running screws through the 1x2, or 2x4, into the studs.

This WILL work, and they will give you no more trouble.

Been there, done that.

Were they not made of particle board, and would have had a support (the 1x3) this probably would never have happened. A really bad design for sure.

Last edited by ktkelly; 06-19-2013 at 08:53 PM.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote