Need Advice On Building A Bench Seat. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85
Question

Need advice on building a bench seat.

Hello, I want to help a friend build a couple bench seats that are open on the bottom for members of his marial arts class to throw their bags under and visitors to sit on while they observe the class.

I love DIY and I have access to a lot of tools; however, I don't have many skills. So, could anyone with plans or knowledge of a book that would walk me though this please provide some guidance?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you tried, "Bench Plans" on a search engine?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

thanks for the reply Ron.... Yeah, although I haven't quite seen what I'm invisioning. I did see a couple things without photos, but I'm a visual person, so I normally ignore anything without pics.

Basically, I'm thinking something simple and made of 2x4's and 2x6's (maybe 4x4's for legs???). Though it's probably so basic that I won't find any plans for what I'm looking for.

Still open for suggestions..
Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Is there a way to use existing base cabinets and take the doors off or somehow retrofit them so you're not starting from square one? I've seen this done for window seats, but in that case, you want the doors on.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

how about something like this? i dont know just an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on building a bench seat.-dsc02089.jpg  
01stairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

01strairguy, that's a really nice one. Much nicer then what we need and looks a little intimidating for my skill level (BEGINNER).

I'm thinking of using 2x4's to make a retangle frame. Miter the corners and cut a rabbet into the inner edge for the 2x6's to lay on. Then use a few 2x4's under the 2x6 seat to hold it together, and finally mount that on top of 3 sets of 4x4's evenly spaced for legs (the floor under the bench will be the storage area).

Couple questions about my design.

1. Can I cut a rabbet into the edge of a 2x4 for the 2x6 to lay on? (the side of the 2x4 isn't very wide and that would be the edge of the seat)

2. Are 4x4's a good choice to mount the bench too for support?

3. How would I mount the top to the legs? (guess I'd have to screw down through the top of the bench)

Like I said guys, this is probably to basic to find any plans (I can't even find any books on 'basic' framing and building designs. However, I don't have much building experience so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks Again.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Hi Rick,

Are you planning on using framing lumber due to cost? Or because it seems less intimidating to work with?

It would help to know the dimensions (especially length) of the total seats/cabinets and shape..."L" shaped, straight run, etc.

Some open plywood cabinets with a plywood top (and moulding) with face frames can be done for a fairly inexpensive price (materials only-depending on length), and give you a nice look for a "public" space.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

this would be easy to fabricate on your own. it would be easy to swap out the metal for wood if you don't have any metal working know-how or tools.

and this is also pretty simple. swap out the metal for wood.

The woodworking forum (see link at top of page) would also be a good place to poke around.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

Jay, I'm a little worried of the skill level required. However, we don't need anything too fancy or expensive (this is just going in an MMA gym). We're planning on spending around $100 on the total project. Also, we're thinking two straight benches approx 6ft each.

cellophane, that first one is what I was thinking, but maybe just a tad bit fancier. Maybe I could use a router to the edges or something, or some other trick to just make it a hair nicer.

Thanks Again Guys
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #10

Ya know what Rick, you're miles ahead if you're at least a little bit apprehensive in regards to your skill level...lots of bad work gets done by those who push ahead irregardless of their skills

And yes, your $100 budget wouldn't cover ply cabs with face frames. Good luck with the project.

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

This may be too late but here is a Tree Bench I built for about $100. I know it's round but maybe it'll give ya an idea for yours. I believe it has the same construction style you were looking for, 4x4 legs, 2x4 braces etc...
If ya want more info about how this is built just let me know. Good luck building yours
Need advice on building a bench seat.-bench.jpg
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #12

Cmdr1, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking.... I'd really appreciate any info you could provide for this. As I said, I've acquired a pretty good tool collection, so I should have what I need to accomplish this build. However, my skill level is 'BEGINNER', so feel free to provide any minute details.... Thanks a lot!!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Well I can't find my original plans to upload so I'll try and write something out. I am not a carpenter but just an average DIYer so feel free to use my plans just as a starting off point. As far as tools it shouldnt require more than a saw and drill maybe router if you want to make a decorative edge.

Materials used: 4x4 for legs, 2x2 for seat boards to attach to, 2x4 diagonal support, lag bolts for attaching the 2x2 to the other 2 boards, and 3" screws for attaching the 2x4 to the leg. The seat boards I used 5/4" x 6" deck boards because it was an outside bench but you could just use some 1x6 boards and router the edges round. And finished it off with some 1x2 furring strips to hide the bolts.

Your plan will be a little bit different because your going to need 4 legs instead of just 2 like mine was. I also attahced my seat boards from the top to give it more of a Deck like look. If you wanted to hide the screws you could just screw up from under and use some finishing nails to skirt around just under the seat boards.

I would also remember that you're going to be putting lots of people on this so it needs to be sound. Try and make sure the load sits on the 4x4 and not fastened to the sides of it. Here's a pic that should get ya going.
Need advice on building a bench seat.-plans.jpg
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

I would avoid construction lumber. It can twist, warp, curl, etc as it dries. Rick, where are you at? Maybe I know a woodworker who could mentor you through the project. That said, here are plans for what I think you want. You could do this bench without the back.
http://www.homehardware.ca/Cms/conte...r_05_deckbench
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Here is another plan
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/s...king_Plan.html

and another
http://www.stilesdesigns.com/storage.html (paid)

Advertisement

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote