Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need a 6x10 hole in a cabinet

I'm preparing to install some ventilation fans in the top of my home theater cabinet.

Unfortunately it is on the top of already installed, custom cabinets & shelf unit...so I have to get it right the first time. It's just a simple rectangle, but screwing it up would be expensive.

The hole needs to start about one inch away from the back wall, so I'm confined on that side. The top is only about one inch thick.

I have a hand held jig saw, but I don't think that I'll be able to get close enough to the wall for the back edge. I don't have a router, but I have the same concern Re: the back edge as with the jigsaw.

How would you suggest I do this to get it right the first time?

Thanks,

John

Juano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano11 View Post
I'm preparing to install some ventilation fans in the top of my home theater cabinet.

Unfortunately it is on the top of already installed, custom cabinets & shelf unit...so I have to get it right the first time. It's just a simple rectangle, but screwing it up would be expensive.

The hole needs to start about one inch away from the back wall, so I'm confined on that side. The top is only about one inch thick.

I have a hand held jig saw, but I don't think that I'll be able to get close enough to the wall for the back edge. I don't have a router, but I have the same concern Re: the back edge as with the jigsaw.

How would you suggest I do this to get it right the first time?

Thanks,

John
Top is "only" one inch thick That's a pretty thick top. I was thinking a rotozip with the ZM-3 attachment for a wood blade but I'm not sure what the depth of cut is. Can you get at it from the inside of the cabinet, or, is that what you are doing?
Rotozip with spiral blade may still be the way to go. The only other tool that comes to mind would be one of the multi-tools out there, ie. Fein MultiMaster or Dremel Multi-Max.
Hope this helps, good luck.

jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

Yeah, the depth of cut was keeping me from trying my rotary tool.

Yes, I can get to it from either the top or the bottom. So I guess that I could cut from both the top and the bottom, but that seems a little risky to me.

I was thinking that one of the multi-tools would be my best bet too.

Care to recommend one over the other?

Thanks

John
Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano11 View Post
Yeah, the depth of cut was keeping me from trying my rotary tool.

Yes, I can get to it from either the top or the bottom. So I guess that I could cut from both the top and the bottom, but that seems a little risky to me.

I was thinking that one of the multi-tools would be my best bet too.

Care to recommend one over the other?

Thanks

John
The Rotozip with the jigsaw spiral bit can do 1" but you gotta be careful and not push it. Don't try to plunge it, drill access holes and carpet tape some strips of MDF around to guide the base.
For a multi-tool, if ya got an extra $400 laying around the Fein is hands down choice. I went with the Dremel. It should do OK. I would recommend using the "half-moon" shaped wood blade. Should be a bit easier to guide than the 3/4" wide one. That, and the blade shape should lend itself better to the angles you will likely have to assume to get in there.
Don't go with the Rockwell, the only blades that fit Rockwell are Rockwell. Dremel will take the Bosch and Fein blades as well. I think you can buy an adapter to fit the other blades to the Rockwell though.
I wouldn't try cutting from both sides, that doesn't sound like a plan even General Custer would go for. Waaay to much risk. Jigsaw doesn't sound to good either. Even if you could get in there with it, the blades are so flexible it is tough to get a square cut.
Whatever you elect to use, I would suggest some practice on some scrap of equivalent material and thickness to get the feel of how well the tool wants to play.
Good Luck
Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #5

Found a Fein "starter kit" here in town for $200. I think that I'll grab that tomorrow and give it a go.

It doesn't come with much...but Christmas & Birthday might fill out the selection...

Thanks for the advice, I have zero experience with any of these multi tools. The Fein, specifically, looks great in their commercials, but I didn't really know if they were worth the money. I thought that that would be the tool for the job, but I wasn't sure.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Juano, You've struck pay dirt. That Multimaster deal is a good way to get on board. I have the whole kit and have found the cutting blades by far the most used accessories. When it comes time to get more blades here is a high quality, lower cost source that I use:
http://multiblades.com/
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Just ordered my Fein, however it can be pricey. I've heard good things about the Dremel as well.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhammes View Post
Just ordered my Fein, however it can be pricey. I've heard good things about the Dremel as well.
I can't complain about the Dremel. About a fourth the cost but I don't think is quite as powerful. Strange though, I emailed the company in the link Bob posted and they responded saying they never heard of the Dremel Multi-Max. Doesn't mean I would order from them as their blades about the same price as the Dremel.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Just expect to take your time, these are precise, but slow tools for what you're looking to do (I love my fein)...and use some ear protection...you'll be glad you did...I usually use ear-muffs with a built-in radio.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
... I emailed the company in the link Bob posted and they responded saying they never heard of the Dremel Multi-Max.
The Link that I posted (post #6) was in reference to the Fein Multimaster not the Dremel Multi-Max

They make blades for the Multimaster and for the Rockwell Sonicrafter
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Old School

Rewards Points: 75

I was about to buy a Fein, and thought I would try the HF Multifunction Tool, for $39. I thought it would be just a toy, but it works great, and has gotten me out of jams like yours. There's also a variable speed one for about 20 bucks more.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
The Link that I posted (post #6) was in reference to the Fein Multimaster not the Dremel Multi-Max

They make blades for the Multimaster and for the Rockwell Sonicrafter
I understand that Bob. The Dremel also takes the Fein Blades and I thought they may also interchange. What I thought was strange is that they said they had never heard of the Dremel version

Thanks for sharing the link though.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #14

Thanks guys, I got the Fein Starter kit and a the wedge shaped wood blade. The extra blade was only $20 and they didn't have any of the round cutting blades at a reasonable price.

It worked "FEIN" (wacka wacka wacka!). I essentially did a series of plunge cuts to make the opening. It wasn't perfect, but the grill for the fans covers my overcuts from the top so they are not visible.

Thanks for the tips. This is a job that I had been contemplating for a while, but I had been hesitant to start, because I knew that it would be expensive if I screwed it up. Meanwhile my components were cooking in the cabinet...which could get expensive as well....

Anyway, job done. Pics are attached.

Many Thanks

John
Attached Thumbnails
Need a 6x10 hole in a cabinet-img_0262.jpg   Need a 6x10 hole in a cabinet-img_0263.jpg   Need a 6x10 hole in a cabinet-img_0264.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #15

Sorry about the picture orientation.