Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Nails vs Screws

Hopefully I am in the right forum:

I need to sister in a 2x6 stud in my bathroom wall. Does it matter if I use nails or scews? Is one preferred over the other? Galvanized? Steel? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Jay2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Nails vs Screws

Just need nails, no need for galvanized unless your nailing into a pressure treated bottom plate. Then you need ACQ approved fasteners.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Nails vs Screws

Are there any other remedies to fix this problem? The notched area in the below picture was done to accomodate shower valves. Ideally, I would sister in a second 2x6, but there are studs on each side of this notched 2x6, and I honestly don't want to remove more drywall to properly nail in the sister 2x6 to the ceiling beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Nails vs Screws-img_0150.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Nails vs Screws

Got a picture of what your trying to do not just a drawing?
I hope this drywall your talking about is on the back side of the wall and not in the shower.
If this is not a supporting wall I would not worry about it, but for sure I would add nailing plates to cover the plumbing so no one puts a screw through it.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Nails vs Screws

Hi Joe. I meant to say greenboard and not drywall. Cement board will surround the shower walls, and then at around 6 feet above the shower pan, greenboard takes over to the ceiling. When I demoed, I noticed the builder used greenboard on the shower walls. Actually, he doubled them up, so each of the three shower walls had two layers of greenboard sheets. I now know that this is not an approved method/approach, so I'll be doing it right this time around, including reduarding the heck out of the cement boards once hey are up.

Currently, the remaining 2 feet above the shower head has greenboard and is textured and painted. I am not going to tile all the way up to the ceiling, which is why I am not removing all of the remaining greenboard.

The stud that is notched is one of the studs that runs vertical near the shower valve. It is nailed to the bottom foundation and to the ceiling beams. I am thinking of just cutting a piece of lumber (similar in size to the piece that was notched out of the 2x6), inserting it in the notched area, and then fastening some Simpson Strong ties to both sides of the 2x6. Is this a recommeded approach? If so, should I used nails, screws, or bolts?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Nails vs Screws

Still need to know if this is a supporting wall? If not there not need to do any filling, the drywall will easily span over it.
Any texture in a bathroom is a horrible idea.
Hard to clean, a dust and mold magnet, very hard to do a repair or blend in.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Nails vs Screws

What is a supporting wall? The wall where the notched 2x6 lies is one of the walls in a walk in shower. It's the wall where the shower head and valve are mounted. The back side of this wall is an exterior wall, and faces the front yard. I hope that is enough info to determine if it is a supporting wall or not.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Nails vs Screws

Here is a picture. The notched 2x6 (prior to being notched) is to the left of the valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Nails vs Screws-img_0120.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

Nails vs Screws

A supporting wall is just that, a wall that hold up anything above it.
Look below and above that wall, if there's no support under it or above it, then most likely it's not a supporting wall.
If there's a wall above it, for say a second story room then it could be a supporting wall.
If there's just one stud cut I would not worry about it.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,482

Nails vs Screws

Keep the screw thought in mind. After you've knocked loose half of the remaining sheet rock, tape joints and stirred plenty of dust trying to get a nail into that old hardened lumber from an awkward nailing position you might just decide the screws thought is best. To make it quick and easy pre bore pilot holes through the new sister board the OD of the screws and let the screw head do its job.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

Nails vs Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Keep the screw thought in mind. After you've knocked loose half of the remaining sheet rock, tape joints and stirred plenty of dust trying to get a nail into that old hardened lumber from an awkward nailing position you might just decide the screws thoughts through the new sister board the OD of the screws and let the screw head do its job.
That's why palm nailers and a pancake compressor are sooooo nice!
Bigplanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Nails vs Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2013 View Post
Hopefully I am in the right forum:

I need to sister in a 2x6 stud in my bathroom wall. Does it matter if I use nails or scews? Is one preferred over the other? Galvanized? Steel? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Go with the screws!
With that old wood you will be hitting nails so hard to get the nails in the board your nailing to will move on you.

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote