Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nailer Help

Hello,

I am new to the site. I need some help. I am in the market for a nailer or stapler. There are so many options in the pneumatic guns to choose from. I would like to know what is recommended for usage in stapling galvanized wire to wood ( I make rabbit cages for my girls), I would like to use it for crown molding or trim molding as I have some projects around the house I need to start on soon. The guns shoot different size nails, staples, etc. and I just don't know what would fit my needs. I see that there are combo nailer/staplers, and individual guns and many different makes and models. I just recently bought a large air compressor for my shop to run the guns. There are oil units and oils units too. Thanks for any help.

arkansasbowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
just a tool guy

Rewards Points: 250

Nailer Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunt View Post
Hello,

I am new to the site. I need some help. I am in the market for a nailer or stapler. There are so many options in the pneumatic guns to choose from. I would like to know what is recommended for usage in stapling galvanized wire to wood ( I make rabbit cages for my girls), I would like to use it for crown molding or trim molding as I have some projects around the house I need to start on soon. The guns shoot different size nails, staples, etc. and I just don't know what would fit my needs. I see that there are combo nailer/staplers, and individual guns and many different makes and models. I just recently bought a large air compressor for my shop to run the guns. There are oil units and oils units too. Thanks for any help.
Personally, for the wire I would hand staple, wouldn't want to chip the driver in a possibly expensive tool. As to the nail guns, you'll find as many opinions as there are models and users. I personally use oil type guns, in various styles and sizes. Each one has it's particular uses. There really isn't a "one size fits all. I'd stay away from the combo units though, no personal experience, but I've not heard many good reviews.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,132

Nailer Help

I second the suggestion to hand staple the wire - there are a lot more uses for pneumatic nailers than for pneumatic staplers. And I too would steer clear of "combo" units.

I have two nailers, both Porter-Cable. One is a 16-gauge finish nailer and the other an 18-gauge brad nailer. Between the two and the available lengths of nails and brads, they cover all my needs from trim to picture frames.

Unless you have some experience, I'd steer well clear of framing nailers. They scare the heck out of me, having seen nails hit a knot or something and turn completely around. My wife and I built our log home by ourselves, and did all the framing the "old school" way - with hammers. Isn't that hard if you have the right hammer, and a whole lot safer IMO.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nailer Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
Unless you have some experience, I'd steer well clear of framing nailers. They scare the heck out of me, having seen nails hit a knot or something and turn completely around. IMO.
Me too! But I've turned a trim nail with my trim nailer too. Eye protection is a must!

OP - I made my chicken coop (lots of stapled wire) with and electric staple gun. Worked great, was pretty cheap, durable, and EZ.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nailer Help

A hammer tacker should do the job. Arrow or Bostich make a good tool.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

Nailer Help

I'd get myself one of these. Can't beat the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gaug...ler-68029.html
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
KemoSabe

Nailer Help

and one of these for occasional trimwork

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gaug...ler-66995.html
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
KemoSabe

Nailer Help

If we were neighbors, I'd lend you one of mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Nailer Help-005.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Nailer Help

Man that is a load of nail guns there. I built my shop using my friends paslode framing nailer. Loved it but don't think it would do the smaller stuff well. I will check out the lonks shown on guns, thanks for any and all help.
arkansasbowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Nailer Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
If we were neighbors, I'd lend you one of mine...

WOW!!! where in South Jersey? My wife's family is from Logan Township.

stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote