Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

nail gun vs hammer for house framing

looking for any insight on the strength of a framed home with nail gun compared to hand driven

CJB143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB143 View Post
looking for any insight on the strength of a framed home with nail gun compared to hand driven
Just as strong. Haven't seen a house or addition nailed by hand in 27 years. If you are framing something....use a nail gun. If you have never used one....be very careful. That should be your only concern, not the strength of hand nailing compared to gun nailing.

Tom Struble (01-04-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

I prefer to use nail gun...think its better .. saves on arm and shoulder...Iam 53 yrs young....still older...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
KemoSabe

I've gunned together several hundred homes over the last 25 years and hand banged close to another fifty.

Every one of them is still standing.

The method of nailing should not be a factor. The attention to proper nailing should always be a consideration.
ben's plumbing (01-02-2012), ridge-runner (01-02-2012), rossfingal (01-04-2012), woodworkbykirk (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

I can think of no good reason to frame a house any more with hand nails,
Inless you do it yourself you would be hard pressed to even find someone willing to do it that way, and if you did it would cost far more in labor.
New nails have glue on them that's heat sensitive and sets in a second. Just try and pull one out.
A simple job like sheathing can be done at least 10 times faster.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Comparing hand nailing to gun nailing is like comparing cutting wood with a handsaw compared to a circular saw....there's no comparison.
woodworkbykirk (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

The only plus to hand nailing is it tends to get things tighter. But as lone said- proper nailing techniques produce just as good results
Ninjaframer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjaframer For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

thanks for all the input everyone
CJB143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

on every house being framed there are times when certain things do need to be hand nailed and things that get gun nailed.

i like to tack things together by hand when you have to check the fit of something, easier to pull apart than digging out a gun nail that is sunk. also for tacking the corners of sheets of plywood.. hand nailing draws it down to the framing, from there you can nail it off with the gun
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #10

My wife and I built our log home by ourselves. While we did all the trim work with a finish nailer, we did all the framing by hand. It's just somehow more satisfying to do it that way. I'm 63, and had no trouble swinging a hammer.

We have done several builds with Habitat for Humanity, and all of those were framed by hand as well. I think that's more because they don't want unskilled volunteers messing with a framing nailer and getting themselves hurt.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #11

Time is money in the building trades, and guns are faster. Also, most gun nails have an adhesive coating that activates from the heat of jamming the nail home. They hold better. But several mentioned nailing technique, you can stick a lot of nails in a piece of wood, with a hammer or gun. If not in the right place, they don't do much.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
most gun nails have an adhesive coating that activates from the heat of jamming the nail home. They hold better.
Regular sinkers also have an adhesive coating. To me, the only advantage of a nailer would be the time it saves. But, then, I'm not in the construction business.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
KemoSabe

It's one thing to hammer one house together. Spending a career doing it is another matter.

I spent the first few years of my carpentry career framing, siding and trimming without the advantage of nail guns.

Time is one aspect of the gun advantage, but there are more benefits.

Using a gun tends to give a much cleaner, more professional end product with less splitting and zero hammer tracks.

With proper training, guns are much safer and result in fewer injuries. I've never shot myself with a gun in over 20 years of using them.

In the few years I spent hand nailing, I lost my thumbnail so many times it doesn't even hurt anymore.

I also had chronic joint pain in my fingers, wrist, elbow and shoulder when nailing by hand, not to mention lower back pain from being folded in half for much longer to complete the same task.
woodworkbykirk (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Regular sinkers also have an adhesive coating. To me, the only advantage of a nailer would be the time it saves. But, then, I'm not in the construction business.

ive never heard of an adhesive coating on hand nails, on gun nails yes thats the red or yellow coating you see on the tips of gun nails and gun spikes. and ive been renovating and building custom high end homes for 9 years professionally

and regarding the finger nail thing, lones not the only one, i have one about to fall off and another that grew back a few months ago

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 01-04-2012 at 09:09 PM.
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote