Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Share |
Default

Nail fins


What is the gut feeling about using either a roofing gun or a metal cap gun with ring shanks to install windows with a aluminum nailing fin?

Bob Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Nail fins


You could probably do it with a roofing nailer, but why? Hand-driving nails through the nailing fin is normal and usually isn't a challenge. I certainly wouldn't use a ramset nailer if that's what you mean by cap gun.

I'd hand drive them.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Nail fins


Hand drive.

Roofing guns can damage the nailing fins with their force: Crack, split, chip, etc.

...unlesss you have a gun with some kind of an attachment specifcally, for such installations.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-23-2008 at 09:05 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Talking

Nail fins


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You could probably do it with a roofing nailer, but why? Hand-driving nails through the nailing fin is normal and usually isn't a challenge. I certainly wouldn't use a ramset nailer if that's what you mean by cap gun.

I'd hand drive them.
I realize that it's not a challenge normally but I've been thinking about it for some time and with the conditions of an upcoming job I thought I'd ask around ie .45 windows and doors 1" wall sheathing, almost all windows need to be planked to get to and on and on. Just looking for a way to pick up some time. By the way, roofing guns only fire to 1 3/4" I need a minimum of 2". The cap gun I referred to is a plastic cap gun although I planned to use 2" ring shank metal cap nails. Actually the cap gun fires to 3" I believe. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it. Thanks for your comments.
Bob Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Nail fins


Why on earth do you need 2" nails to secure a window's nailing fin? Seems mightly long to me.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Nail fins


In the industry, is a pretty much known point, that you do not want to use a roofing gun on vinyl window nailing fins. As stated, they can damage the vinyl fins, especially in cold weather installations, when the vinyl is more brittle.

Never sacrifice a quality installation, just because you want to make things go quicker, or easier on yourself, even if that means that you can increase your profit margin.

Additionally, you may affect the window warranty.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Nail fins


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Why on earth do you need 2" nails to secure a window's nailing fin? Seems mightly long to me.
I say that's a minimum because, like I said, 1" foam sheathing is existing! Now you know! What would you use when the wall sheathing was 1" foam?
Thanks
Bob Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Nail fins


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
In the industry, is a pretty much known point, that you do not want to use a roofing gun on vinyl window nailing fins. As stated, they can damage the vinyl fins, especially in cold weather installations, when the vinyl is more brittle.

Never sacrifice a quality installation, just because you want to make things go quicker, or easier on yourself, even if that means that you can increase your profit margin.

Additionally, you may affect the window warranty.
Well put!
I do have a call in to my supplier. The reason I asked was the windows I am using are wood aluminum clad with a aluminum fin. Believe me, I've been spanked before trying to save some time. I've bing this for thirty years and that has been my opinion. Just thought I'd throw the question out there. Thank's for your comments.
Bob Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Nail fins


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mus View Post
I say that's a minimum because, like I said, 1" foam sheathing is existing! Now you know! What would you use when the wall sheathing was 1" foam?
Thanks
I wouldn't install a window over foam, I'd cut the foam back.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Nail fins


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I wouldn't install a window over foam, I'd cut the foam back.
Well, the existing were and that is a common spec. If you cut back you have to pad back out or you have tons of problems in and out.
Bob Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,580
Default

Nail fins


Well, while speeding up the job, don't leave the metal flashing out. That'll cost you some day.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Nail fins


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Well, while speeding up the job, don't leave the metal flashing out. That'll cost you some day.
I bent
all the flashing today. My quess is I will continue to hand nail.
FYI. the following is response I got back from Andersen:



Thank you for contacting the Andersen WindowCare(R) Solution Center regarding Andersen(R) products. We are glad to assist you in answering your questions.

We have no specific recommendations for or against using a nail gun. We are sorry if this causes you any inconvenience..
Looks like they don't want to say yes or no.

Bob Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying a nail gun with compressor Dave777 Tools 9 11-27-2011 11:37 PM
Nail Gun Plastic Nail Casing frustrations smark General DIY Discussions 6 07-07-2008 08:10 PM
Best Practices for Framing Nail size jms5883 Remodeling 7 01-31-2008 11:37 AM
Using nail gun on deck fence? darsunt Carpentry 1 05-01-2007 08:11 AM
Nail Gun and Compressor - Help! MelindaA Carpentry 7 08-15-2006 08:17 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.