Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Share |

Nail crown molding to top plates instead of studs?

Hi everyone. I'll be putting up some crown this weekend and i was just reading an article that suggested nailing the crown through the center of its profile into the top plate of a wall when using a smaller size molding. This would be in place of nailing through the bottom of the profile into the studs. Has anyone had any luck with this method? Thanks in advance.

TheDude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #2

If the bottom of the crown nailing point is less than 2 1/2" from the ceiling nail up at a slight angle and you will catch the top plate. You would need a long nail to pin from the centre.
I did a crown a few weeks ago on a reno. Everything was pinned to the studs on the wall and bottom chord of the trusses through the ceiling. Where there was no backing I put some PL on the top of the crown and used long thin flexable strips of wood as springs to hold it to the ceiling. I just pulled the springs out the next day when it had set up

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

I hope the OP wasn't suggesting using one nail to attach crown moulding. I always use one top and one bottom whether it's in the plate, the joist, or the stud. When going parallel to the joists, I cut and nail angled 2x4 blocks to the plate every 16" or so to provide solid nailing
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgins For This Useful Post:
tpolk (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

One nail down the middle of the profile is a poor idea. Whoever wrote that article should have their keyboard taken away and should have to work with a trim carpenter for an internship! Even an average 3-1/4" crown profile would require a nail well in excess of 3" long to even penetrate the framing at all. The odds of shooting a 16ga nail through the crown and then straight through the open void behind the crown, then straight through the sheetrock and straight into the framing are not good.
Always easier and better to catch the stud and the ceiling joist. I've been known to install wood backer while framing when I know I'm running crown on a job. If installing over existing wallboard, installing angled 2x4 blocks that the crown can be fastened to is a real time saver and can really make life easier for inexperienced folks. They are also really helpful at your scarf joints.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote